question

laurine-ferrando avatar image
laurine-ferrando asked

Three phase system with three quattro using the third mode, Cerbo GX and ESS - how to order the inverters ?

Hello,

I want to update my single phase system to a three-phase system with three Quattro driven by a Cerbo GX and raspberry Pi. My system is composed of a battery pack (30kWh) and a connection to the AC electrical panel of a photovoltaic system which have his own inverter (Fronius inverter in fact).

I use the mode 3 to drive my inverter and I develop a smart system to charge/discharge my battery in function of my needs and a prediction of the production. I understand that my cerbo GX must be connected in series with the three inverters.

I did not find much information on three phase system in the third mode, how does it work? Did the Cerbo-GX send the order from my code to each register of each inverter? or should I drive independently each inverter by changing the IP address?

I read in Cerbo datasheet that the 37 register is for L1 and 40 register for L2, and 41 for L3. For the moment I write in the 37 register to control the power in my inverter and the register 33 to control charge and discharge.

Does the register are the same in three phase system than in the single-phase system?

Thanks for your help…

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gxESS3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

I assume the "smart system" which managed charge/discharge and predicts production us running on the rPi?

I assume the series connection you are talking about between the CerboGX and the Quattros is on the VE.Bus. If so, yes, you can plug a VE.Bus port on L1 inverter into L2 inverter into L3 inverter into Cerbo GX. No terminator is required.

As to the registers you refer, they fall into the range reserved for "com.victronenergy.vebus" --> "Inverters (VE.Bus), Multis, and Quattros".

All the Modbus registers made available on the Cerbo GX whether ESS is used or not are listed in "Modbus-TCP Register List" at https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/technical-information.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

laurine-ferrando avatar image laurine-ferrando commented ·

Thanks for your answer !

0 Likes 0 ·
kajc avatar image
kajc answered ·

Laurin-Ferrando; Are you sharing your code? If so; where?

We are a few people that have just installed (or are still installing) 3-phase systems around MultiPlus II units. We have come to understand that we will need to expand the functionality of the system to use its ful potential. We will look into these topics;

• Sum of all phases = 0, by optimizing export on all phases
  • Save energy for when price is to be height (morning/evening) (Tariff by hour)
  • Use weather forecast to predict production.

It would be really interesting to see how you have done it. Is that possible?

// Kaj

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Laurine Ferrando

I'm moving your topic to the 'modifications' section as there is more knowledge about these systems.

And please read this information:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:ess_mode_2_and_3

2 |3000