question

nfluester avatar image
nfluester asked

controlling Victron MultiPlus 12 / 3000 / 120 with REC ABMS + Cerbo

as per the title i am trying to configure a Rec ABMS with VE CAN to control the allowed to charge / allowed to discharge settings of the Multi.

I have tried adding the VE bus BMS assistant but this give me a flashing low battery light on the Multi.

i have the ABMS working as a battery monitor in the Cerbo but the Multi is not seeming to be working with it.

is there something I am missing is this a supported function to control via VE CAN or do i need to use 2 wire BMS and wire the relays

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gxBMSve.bus bms
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
petersailor avatar image
petersailor answered ·

You need to use BMS CAN on the Cerbo

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lukas-lenner avatar image
lukas-lenner answered ·

@nfluester did you eventually figure this out? I will be building a similar system and would like to control Multiplus charge/discharge features based on the values from REC BMS as well.

2 |3000

nfluester avatar image
nfluester answered ·

yes it does work though here are a few things you should know

from what i can see the victron version is just a different cable which only has 3 pins (CAN Hi, CAN LO and Ground and it has a 120 ohm resistor built in) so you may want to save some money and make your own!

with the current 2.6 firmware on the REC it will charge to 100% > Stop charging > let the battery fall to about 90% and then charge again. and it does this in a cycle

for us i wanted the multiplus to leave the battery at a set state of charge and then pass through the power to the DC loads kinda like a power supply.

this requires a special firmware from REC which costs about $25 but apparently this will be added into 2.7 firmware in the future

the other thing is there is no easy way to get the rec into a storage mode ours sit's at 100% all the time at the moment when we are not using the boat so not great for the extended life of our lithiums

ours has been in operation for about 9 months and apart from the points above it's been great i am just in the process of getting 2 Wakespeed WS500 wired into to it as well.

hope this helps

2 |3000

jw1971 avatar image
jw1971 answered ·

1) you need to setup the system so the Multi with go into float mode and this acts as the "power supply" mode you are looking for. If your loads are very low the Multi will shut down and then once Batt hits your programmed level it will start to charge again.

2) For storage mode just set the stop-charging voltage at 3.25V per cell or whatever your ideal storage cell voltage is.

2 |3000