question

porcini avatar image
porcini asked

Anyone uses SMA SB 1.5 / 2.0 / 2.5 AC-coupled OFFGRID ?

Hello,

I'm wondering if the small SMA inverters supports the "OFF-Grid 50" country code. Unfortunately SMA support doesn't answer. I know SB 3.0 and above do, but the smaller ones are not listed. Does anyone know and uses one in an offgrid installation with multiplus/quattro/phoenix? How does it perform?

The "problem" with Fronius is that is has a relatively high nominal voltage and efficiency at lower workload/voltages is pretty bad. Although Fronius has a wider frequency bandwith I would prefer an SB 2.5 since my daily load is only between 250-1000W at most of the times.

Thank you very much!

regards,

porcini

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color ControloffgridAC PV Coupling
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

porcini avatar image porcini commented ·

Of course I also have an MPPT-Charger as well, but most of my consumption is during the day.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
my daily load is only between 250-1000W at most of the times

Is it worth it to get an additional PV inverter (AC coupled) for that? In an off-grid setup (so you can't feed in the surplus).

0 Likes 0 ·
porcini avatar image porcini seb71 commented ·

Yes I think so, 1kW runs for 4-8h.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Yes they do work OK, with the Victron Mulitpluss2 OK, I used the SMA PC app called Sunny explorer to set the MG50 mode.

This was done on a 5kw unit sunny boy inverters.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

porcini avatar image porcini commented ·

This was done on a 5kw unit sunny boy inverters.

Thank you for your answer, but as already said I know SB 3.0 and above (5 is above) support this. My question refers to the smaller series SB 1.5 / 2.0 / 2.5.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie porcini commented ·

Hi

Look at data sheets of the inverter it well tell you or the service manuals will tell you.

You can can done load these from the net.

0 Likes 0 ·
porcini avatar image porcini Rob Duthie commented ·

couldn't find these information for the smaller ones, but SMA support answered with a few days delay. Also the smaller inverters have offgrid support.

0 Likes 0 ·
chuff avatar image
chuff answered ·

Hi, i have also SMA onduler here and i would like to put it in MG50 mode but the settig can not be changed without a code; who can help? @Rob ??

3 comments
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi

Email me and i will send it to you the service manauls etc.

Install sunny explorer to your laptop which is required.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
chuff avatar image chuff Rob Duthie commented ·

Thks but i don't find any email address here on community site; how to email you???

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie chuff commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
cramik avatar image
cramik answered ·

Hi Rob,

I've just installed a Victron Multiplus 2 and batteries on top of my SMA SB4 that has been running for a bit more than two years (grid-tie). I works nicely when the grid is available but all the tests I did show that SMA inverter does not respond to frequency shift power control. When reaching 50.6 Hz it shuts down abruptly. Grid monitoring has to be changed somewhere. I installed Sunny Explorer but I would appreciate if you have additional manuals. SMA support is not very explicative on those subjects.

Thanks, Marc

2 comments
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Send email address so i can send manuals etc.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
cramik avatar image cramik Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi, I sent an email to your gmail address about a week ago. Marc
0 Likes 0 ·