question

paulleten avatar image
paulleten asked

MK3 interface to usb

Is an MK3 interface the same as an USB 3.0 to RJ45 interface?

The USB 3.0 interface communicates but there is no communication with my Multiplus Compact 12/800/35.

MK3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi,

RJ45 is just the plug type, and what really matters is the communications protocol. There are many different communications protocols that use an RJ45 connection.

The MK3 USB interface is a special Victron hardware for converting Victron's VE.Bus protocol (that Multi's use) to USB, so that you can connect your computer and use Victron's software VEConfigure and VictronConnect.

Regards,

Markus

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Could a VE.Bus port be plugged into a Raspberry Pi Ethernet port and can we communicate without a MK3?

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Hi, no unfortunately not. There is no TCP/IP (LAN) protocol so you cannot use LAN hardware/protocols. VE.Bus uses the same connectors/cables as LAN only

Regards,

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman markus ♦♦ commented ·

Pity :(

So do Modbus calls get made to the GX device rather than over the Ethernet cable?

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Yes, Warwick, they do: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:modbustcp_faq

"ModbusTCP is a feature on our GX devices eg Color Control GX, and also the Venus GX."

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

I was about to post a very similar question to this. I was wondering that the MK3 does. Is it a Modbus TCP to USB converter?

Wouldn't it be possible for the Victron apps to speak Modbus directly to the connected device?

Or is Modbus only a subset of the interfacing functionality devices provide and MK3 gives access to the rest?

To expand on this, the Venus, Color Control, Octo all connect by Ethernet - so I presume all functionality is accessible over Ethernet / TCP?

2 |3000

gbeasle avatar image
gbeasle answered ·

I am having the same problem will not recognize the MK3. I have followed all the directions listed more than twice on three different computers, each time the same. So what have the rest of you done to hook up?

2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The Mk3 as successor to the Mk2 is a USB to RS485 adapter, BUT has rather more functionality than a simple adapter. There is a dedicated protocol & this is not simple to program. Also there is the risk of considerable damage to devices if you get the data wrong. Mk2/3 will not detect on Victron Configure if it is not plugged into a powered up system. Plug in the USB first then plug in the VE-bus connection - otherwise the system will go off.

2 |3000

sigmund avatar image
sigmund answered ·

I have found that the MK3 does not work with a crossover ethernet cable, it only works with a ethernet patch cable.

What fooled me was that the VE.Bus Smart dongle works with the crossover cable, but not the MK3.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic