question

vicky avatar image
vicky asked

Multigrid 48/3000 inverter priority ?

I have to change my current setup from ESS "feed in excess power" to "island mode / inverter priority" as feed-in is no longer tolerated by grid supplier.

As far as I understood the deprecated "self consumption hub 2" with "prevent feedback to grid" is the only way to control the power of non Fronius PV inverters, connected to ACout, by shifting frequency. ESS does support Fronius only - correct? My Inverter (3,5kWp) doesn't allow true power regulation, but as a workaround I can at least switch it off, by setting the upper frequency limit.

I understand this is not the best setup but I need a solution asap.

I plan to connect the loads to ACout1. Average load is 0.5kW, usually not exceeding 3kW.
In case load increases to maybe 4.5kW I hope the "Grid Assist", properly set, will handle it.
Battery is LG Chem 6.5

In case the Inverter fails I'd like to have th eoption to manually switch my L1 loads to the grid

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

I skip all the fuses and wiring details, just the principle

1614707889719.png

Phoenix Invertermultigrid
1614707889719.png (135.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
vicky avatar image
vicky answered ·

its me again...
Before changing anything, I updated my VEconfigure and theESS assistant and played a bit.
If my interpretation is right, the ESS assistant does also allow to reduce PV inverters power if connected to AC out.
Can somebody please check & confirm ?

Txs a lot

1614785872611.png

1614785911371.png

1614785872611.png (47.0 KiB)
1614785911371.png (12.6 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Vicky

What pv inverter do you have?

You could use an ac ignore, https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.victronenergy.com/live/doku.php%3Fid%3Dassistants%253Aignore_ac_input_using_the_generator_assistant%26do%3Dexport_pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwifwP3dv5TvAhUvQkEAHUTtBJIQFjAMegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw14uaQIg-7a9BiCs7fcOngp

it is not an assistant. And then the pv assistant to control your ac pv inverter if it does support frequency shifting?

The ignore ac would help you with intentional islanding. The article does link other options in it.

0 Likes 0 ·
vicky avatar image vicky Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra

txs for picking this up.
I didn't play with multiple assistants yet, I will read the linked information later today.

Could you please briefly explain the difference between:

AC ignore (by generator start stop)
general flag user
PV inverter supoport

vs.

ESS
PV converter configured at ACout
grid feed-in disabled in Rconsole setting

---------------

My PV Inverter is a RefuSol 3TL.

Manual doesn't outline in detail how the inverter responds to frequency shifts. I.e. if it is smoothly reducing power or simply shutting off. I sent a request to the support already.

1614788069881.png Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
1614788069881.png (22.7 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ vicky commented ·

@Vicky

The AC ignore can be set almost like the virtual switch based on loads battery.

The general flag is used with other assistants and can be set on and off by them.

So you can use the grid like a generator (back up power) as the article shows.

Pv assistant is used mostly in off grid situations for frequency shifting. So if you do connect to the grid the pv inverter gets shut down. With yours being an inverter I have never seen or used i am not sure how that would work though sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Alexandra

thanks for explaining. understood now.
I'll see which setup will work best for me.

0 Likes 0 ·
vicky avatar image
vicky answered ·

I am stuck, obviously missing the point :o(.

Reconfigured my ESS to a Self consumption HUB assistant 2 v3 where I did not change any wiring.
Used VE Configure, did the settings and sent them to the Multigrid - saved successfully.

As SoC is sufficient I expected the Multi to start the inverter feeding the "critical loads" on ACout1.

Unfortunately after restarting the Multi it stays off. Mains and LowBat LEDs are blinking.
Active AC Input disconnected.
I guess it is an obvious point I am missing, but which one?

1615829393900.png1615828970812.png

1615828970812.png (77.3 KiB)
1615829393900.png (18.9 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Vicky

Sometimes reset to default and start again is the best way to go.

0 Likes 0 ·

I was not able to get the self consumption hub starting, so I used the other option.

Generator start stop and general flag user as suggested. I did not add the PV assistant yet to keep it simple. System was working right away.
However after a while I threw a low battery error and switched off. This happened although battery voltage is not low and SoC sufficient too. For inverter and charge curve I used the same settings I had with the ESS.
Meanwhile I went through many threads here, but didn't find a solution or hint.

At the end I had a look in the compatibility list and was a bit shocked as it says:

LG Chem RESU - Grid Connected ESS only.

I truly hope this isn't the case and I can somehow get my Island set up.
ESS is no option as it will always feed back some energy to grid which is a strict no-go.

Any help appreciated - thanks !

1615902877671.png

1615902864083.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1615902877671.png (73.5 KiB)
1615902864083.png (96.5 KiB)

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic