question

bones83 avatar image
bones83 asked

Victron LiFePo4 90Ah and Low temps

Hi,

I have 4 LiFePo4 90Ah batteries that are about 6 years old. They are not the smart model, but do have BTV leads to connect to a VEBus BMS.

The system will be setup in a location where on occasion the batteries could experience temperatures of 0deg C.

I will be purchasing a smartshunt in order to measure consumption/soc etc.

If I purchase the temp sensor for the smartshunt, will this cut the charging current from both multiplus and victron mppt if the temperature drops below 0deg C?

I also have a Color Control GX that will be installed with the system and connected to the smartshunt and mppt via V.E direct. The CCGX will also be connected to the multiplus via V.E Bus.

Thanks

Lithium BatterySmartShunttemperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

If battery type is set as Lithium and the SmartShunt/BMV has the temperature sensor, both the SmartSolar and the Multiplus should stop charging if the temperature drops below 5 degrees Celsius (this value is adjustable in case of the SmarSolar charger).

But I can't confirm if it actually works (if it actually stops the charging), because my battery never gets so cold.

Multiplus:

multiplus-ii-lithium.png

SmartSolar:

smartsolar-lithium.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bones83 avatar image
bones83 answered ·

Excellent! Thanks very much for the quick response =)

Obviousy I will be doing all I can with insulation to try to ensure the bank wont experience cold temps, but better safe than sorry!!!!

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The BMS should stop the MPPT and MultiPlus from charging if the temperature inside of one battery gets below 5°C.

2 |3000

Related Resources