question

alex-schijf avatar image
alex-schijf asked

SmartSolar 100|30 doesn’t show wattage/amperage

Hi there,

I just received the SmartSolar MPPT 100|30 and after connecting it, immediately I saw the voltage from the solar panels and the batteries, but nothing else. Any idea why I don't see any wattage or amperage?

screenshot-20210219-094718.jpg

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Clouds/no sun?

Put a load on the battery and check again.

Also, how it is set up?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @alex-schijf

because your battery seems to be fully charged and is floating. As soon as battery voltage drops below Re-bulk voltage offset, the charge cycle will restart and your MPPT should start charging.

See what changes if you put a load onto the battery and check the battery settings in the VictronConnect menu. See: VictronConnect App - MPPT Solar Charge Controllers

2 |3000

alex-schijf avatar image
alex-schijf answered ·

Okay, so to answer both of you guys @stefanie and @seb71:

I tried putting a load on it and nothing really changed. It is a sunny day but currently a bit cloudy. However, when it was sunny, also no charge.

My setup is as follows:

1 x 105ah semi traction battery

3x 150 watt solar panels

1x Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100|30 solar controller with a 50A circuit breaker in between it and the battery positive cable.

As far as what I had connected and switched on to test the controller with a load:

2x 12v led lights

1x 12v water pump

1x 12v Air fan in the bathroom

screenshot-20210219-133201.jpg

screenshot-20210219-133219.jpg

5 comments
2 |3000

Please read again what I wrote above about re-bulk offset.

As long as your battery is floating, there is no charge to expect.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hmm... I am not the 2 ppl you have mentioned.

Your battery reads as 13.79/13.8v.. No need for the mppt to charge the battery.

Hence no recorded input to your battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

You want me to mention you. So here you are @klim8skeptic ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

ok, the odd reply format has tagged my reply to your (stefanie) post.

Sorry about that.

Ur gold.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Check the connections/fuses between the MPPT and the battery. For me it looks like the MPPT don't have a good connection to the battery.

2 |3000

alex-schijf avatar image
alex-schijf answered ·

Thank you all for your help.

It totally makes sense to me that the controller won't charge a full battery, however, shouldn't the controller at least show how much wattage is coming in from the solar panels? Because that's actually the only thing I and curious about, not so much the battery info that is missing.

4 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

The MPPT can only show you the PV power that is actually used not the theoretical available power.

Even with less sun light you can have a high PV voltage but without current flowing there is not power to measure.

But I still think there is a issue in you system. Can you make a screenshot of the "History" tap? What happens if you disconnect the PV?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

It's a new MPPT. Most likely does not have a history.

0 Likes 0 ·
alex-schijf avatar image alex-schijf Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Correct, it is new. That's why I also doubt there's something wrong with the connection.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ alex-schijf commented ·

Ok if you think so...

In my opinion it is unlikely to have 0A and 0W straight from the beginning even with loads running.

Do you have any other chargers running at the same time?
Can you switch on some lager loads to pull down the battery voltage?

0 Likes 0 ·
alex-schijf avatar image
alex-schijf answered ·

Okay today I tried draining the battery a little and here are the results

screenshot-20210220-112108.jpg

screenshot-20210220-160601.jpg

screenshot-20210220-114150.jpg

5 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Minimal voltage 0V - this is an indication that there is a problem with the wiring between the MPPT and the battery as I wrote earlier.

0 Likes 0 ·
alex-schijf avatar image alex-schijf Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

What kind of problem would you think of? I disconnected everything and connected the charger directly on that one battery. The only thing standing between them is a 50A circuit breaker.

Also, if it wasn't corrected right, wouldn't there be no voltage at all? By battery it says 14.8v.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ alex-schijf commented ·

Check that circuit breaker.

The "battery voltage" is coming from the MPPT itself.

1 Like 1 ·
alex-schijf avatar image alex-schijf Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Crap I'm sorry for not listening to you right away. The circuit breaker had broken when my old solar charger broke. So it was the connection with the battery like you said.

It works now but I was too late (sunset) to check it well so only 29watts was coming in. I will check again tomorrow with full sun.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 alex-schijf commented ·

Did you disconnected the battery while the PV array was still connected?

Are the PV panels connected correctly to the solar charger (check the polarity)?

0 Likes 0 ·