question

xmd avatar image
xmd asked

Charge starting battery: BMV 712 relay vs MPPT SmartSolar Load Output

I have an older PWM charge controller which will charge both the House and Starting batteries. I am getting more solar panels and want to upgrade to MPPT, but MPPT charge controllers generally do not support 2 battery banks.

• Assume I start with a single MPPT SmartSolar or BlueSolar controller

What would be the best solution?

1. I could use the Load Output and wire that directly to the starting battery, and set a rule for the Load output to turn on the load when the house battery is between X and Y volts. Pros: doesn't require more equipment. Cons: the bigger MPPT controllers don't have the Load output at all, so I'd have to stay with the lower capacity models.
  2. I could get a BMV 712, and use its relay output to control a relay which connects the House and Starting batteries, and use a similar voltage-based rule (On between X and Y volts)
  3. Some other Victron product - battery isolator or combiner or...?

Thoughts?

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitorstarter battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
xmd avatar image
xmd answered ·

To follow up - this thread ( https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/53560/using-bmv-712-relay-to-trigger-the-mppt-10020-ve-d.html?sort=oldest ) seems to suggest that I can use the BMV's output relay to control the MPPT's Load output.

Am I reading that correctly?

In the VictronConnect app, the MPPT Rx Port function settings show this:

1619646920160.png

If I make that change, then what do I do with the actual Load Output settings?

1619646985292.png

In other words, does setting the MPPT's Rx Port function to Remote on/Off override the Load Output settings? Or do they interact somehow in an AND or OR fashion?

1619646920160.png (58.3 KiB)
1619646985292.png (92.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The load output is not designed to connect to another battery to charge it.

If all batteries are lead/Gel/AGM you can just use a cyrix-ct.

1 comment
2 |3000

xmd avatar image xmd commented ·

Thank you, and I understand that the load output may not be designed for charging another battery

Bt I'm still interested in figuring out how the load output controls work.

1. Can I set the load output on the MPPT 100/20 to only be on when the battery voltage is in a certain range AND there is solar input?
  2. Or, can I use the relay output of the BMV-712 to control the load output of the MPPT 100/20?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources