question

vanlifer007 avatar image
vanlifer007 asked

Please help- state unknown and not connected - Mppt and sometime the Smartshunt on the VRM, VictronConnect and remote console.

• Hi. Just now my blue solar mppt and smartshunt disappeared from the VRM, victron connect and remote console.

Is there any know recent issues?

Many thanks

screenshot-20210215-151157.png

screenshot-20210215-155125.jpg

MPPT ControllersVRMVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
vanlifer007 avatar image
vanlifer007 answered ·

Can please anyone from the community help this is the second or third time this issue happened to me. Again today only the mppt is shown state not connected or a unknown. When i reboot i can no longer see the device on venus remote console.Atough the mppt disappear the led bulk light remain on. And i can amps coming in. Sometime both the smartshunt and the bluesolar MPPT disappear from all platforms. VRM, victronconnect, and Venus OS. I was running v 2.6 and had this problem and i have just updated to version 2.63 of Venus but it's still not working. They will reappear again without having to do anything. can anyone please help.

screenshot-20210221-154145.pngdscreenshot-20210221-151202.pngscreenshot-20210221-151134.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

How are they connected to Venus GX?

2 |3000

vanlifer007 avatar image
vanlifer007 answered ·

Ve.direct to USB.

12 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Are you also using a USB hub?

0 Likes 0 ·
vanlifer007 avatar image vanlifer007 seb71 commented ·

No direct to the RaspberryPi 3b+.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 vanlifer007 commented ·

Ah, I was going to suggest to use VE.Direct cables instead (I thought you have a Venus GX).

How long are the VE.Direct to USB cables?

Are they made by Victron?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi again thanks for the prompt answer. The mppt is housed next to the PI so that has an OEM victron cable. The shunt is a little far about 3 meters or so for that i am using a diy cable. Could this be the issue? The problems happens only when the panel is generating over 100w but than again not everyday. It is hard to reproduce the problem. Sometime when i drive (alternator charging) the shunt disappear from venus and can only be accessed by bluetooth. Again this happens at random.

0 Likes 0 ·

Maybe the cause is vibrations + bad contact somewhere.

Or maybe not.

Still, if you have a spare cable, you could try swapping it.

0 Likes 0 ·

Will try and report but the campervan is stationary now. What puzzle me is the mppt is recognised but the state is shown as unknown or not connected.

0 Likes 0 ·

Does that change if you unplug and then plug back the USB end of the cable?

0 Likes 0 ·

I am just walking to the van now. I will report in 30 minutes :)

0 Likes 0 ·
vanlifer007 avatar image vanlifer007 vanlifer007 commented ·

Hi @seb71 . It is working now. I didn't have to unplug it. The only thing i did was to unlock the campervan which uses the starter battery. House and starter batteries were disconnected but they have a common ground... ( i dont think it would have anything to do with starter battery but just stating i did differently)

I have swapped both cables to different ports. I have a USB GPS dongle. I will keep an eye and update. But it is a rather strange behaviour.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ vanlifer007 commented ·

Hi,

The DIY cable, is that also isolated? The original Victron VE.Direct USB cables are isolated, meaning that the ground and 5V on the Raspberry PI/USB side are not connected to the ground and 5V on the VE.Direct side. This to prevent ground loops and stray currents through these ground connections.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
vanlifer007 avatar image vanlifer007 Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Hi @Thiemo Van Engelen. Many thanks indeed for your response. The 5V are not connected I have only connected the RX, and TX, and ground should I disconnect the grounds as well?

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ vanlifer007 commented ·

Hi,

You cannot just disconnect the ground as then then TX and RX are "floating" around some other common 0V/ground. The proper way is to use a signal isolator (like the Analog devices ADUM121N or ADUM1201) as is used in the Victron VE.Direct USB cable.

What you could also do is use a regular USB extension cable and a Victron VE.Direct USB cable.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic