question

christopher-swindell avatar image
christopher-swindell asked

Orion TR Smart 12|12 30 isolated install location questions.

I'm about out install my Orion and I have a couple location questions.

-It recommends 10cm clearance on both the top and bottom. I'll be right at that. Maybe very slightly less. Being that my location allows me to drill some vent holes behind it, would that help cool it?

-Is there any problem with mounting it on plywood? I know it runs hot, but I'd assume that I don't need to concern myself unless there is plastic or something else that is really sensitive to heat. I could mount it to aluminum brackets if necessary.

orion-tr smartinstallation
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

spanner avatar image spanner commented ·

I have a 12-12-30, an Mppt and a 1200w invertor all mounted on ply - no issues so far !

0 Likes 0 ·
christopher-swindell avatar image christopher-swindell spanner commented ·

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
veryactivelife avatar image
veryactivelife answered ·

It can get pretty hot, so hot you can’t touch it. I mounted mine to a piece of heavy sheet metal and then used several washers to stand it off of the plywood creating an air space behind it. I also plan to add a fan on a thermal switch as the output derates significantly at high temperatures. Check the spec sheet.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bob K avatar image
Bob K answered ·

I'm right at 10cm, too. I also used plywood...no issues. Yes, any air you can get to it will help with ventilation. Putting vent holes behind the plywood would be beneficial and might give you a good place to put a small 12v fan in the future.

2 |3000