question

Tim Chapman avatar image
Tim Chapman asked

Current limit display won’t turn off on Digital Multi Control

I have a DCM connected to a Multiplus 12/3000/120. I also have a VE Bus BMS and an Octo GX. Recently I installed a VE Bus Smart Dongle and although the Multiplus seems to operate correctly when I turn the DCM switch to Off all the lights go out except for the numeric current limit display, this now stays illuminated in all three DCM switch positions. How can I restore the DCM to normal operations?

Digital Multi Control
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tim Chapman avatar image Tim Chapman commented ·

I have noticed that when I turn on the DCM the bulk light flashes twice before the unit operates as normal/

0 Likes 0 ·
1point3liter avatar image 1point3liter commented ·

I have the same issue. I also have a VE Bus Smart Dongle.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi,

There were improvements recently made in VictronConnect, and GX firmware for systems with VE.Bus BMS, DCM and VE.Bus Smart Dongle.

Please confirm the firmware and software version is the latest and then report back with those version numbers if still experiencing issues that are not explained here -

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vebus_smart_dongle_manual

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I'm on the latest VE.Bus Smart Dongle firmware, v1.09.

I also just confirmed that the behavior exists with and without the VE.Bus Smart Dongle hooked up. Is this maybe standard behavior of the DCM device? If so, is it configurable?

0 Likes 0 ·

One more thought, I read the manual and the only thing I can find related is in chapter five where you mention the LEDs auto dim. It's not clear on if this is in reference to the indicator lights or the current setting led's (or both).

"5.3 LED brightness For your comfort, the brightness of the LEDs is controlled automatically using a light sensor. When the ambient light level becomes lower the LEDs will be less bright which is more pleasant for the eye and reduces power consumption."

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Digital-Multi-Control-GX-Panel-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
Tim Chapman avatar image Tim Chapman commented ·

My Multiplus is model 2609 with firmware 481. I suspected the DMC was faulty so I bought another one, the new one shows the same behaviour. I have spoken to the dealer in Auckland but so far we haven’t been able to resolve this.

I disconnected my GX device and this did not resolve the issue.

My VE Bus is as follows;

Multiplus1 - AC Detector - BMS - DMC

Multiplus2 - Octo GX

0 Likes 0 ·
Tim Chapman avatar image Tim Chapman Tim Chapman commented ·

In addition, as I mention in the OP when I switch the DMC from Off to On the Bulk LED flashes twice before the Inverter LED comes on. I don't remember seeing this double blink before but it may be normal and I've never noticed it.

0 Likes 0 ·
1point3liter avatar image
1point3liter answered ·

The DCM Current LED's staying on appears to be intended functionality. I found quite a few videos on youtube where people either review them or show how they work and the LED display does not turn off in all the videos.

2 |3000

1point3liter avatar image
1point3liter answered ·

I found the solution. You have to adjust the dip switches on the multiplus.

For a multiplus 2000, default is ds1=off, ds2=on. Change it to these settings in the manual for a 2000, be sure to double check your 3000 manual first in case they are numbered different.

Setting for remote operation with a Multi Control Panel:

ds 1: “on”

ds 2: “off”

2 comments
2 |3000

joeccv avatar image joeccv commented ·

When you change this setting, the current limit display now turns off when the inverter is turned off? Even when you have both the smart dongle and DMC connected? Were there any other quirks that arose from changing these settings?

0 Likes 0 ·
joeccv avatar image joeccv joeccv commented ·

I made the changes and can confirm this does get the intended result.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic