question

perma-batteries avatar image
perma-batteries asked

ESS MODE 3 GRIDSETPOINT REFRESH RATE

Hello,

Looking out to the Modbus experts out there, we've got an ESS comprised of 3x Quattro 15kVA, running with our own PLC and control loop under Mode 3, but we read in the manual two conflicting values. At the beginning, it states that that the gridsetpoint TCP registry (DBUS TCP register 37,40 & 41) must be written once every minute, not less, or the system will go into passthru.

2021-02-08-14-47-42-window.jpg

Then it states that it must be written AT LEAST once every minute :

Am I getting this right ? This is critical for us as we need a fast response time on this value because we need to regulate the ACIN power coming from a hydroturbine. My common sens would tell me that the grid setpoint is faster than one minute (otherwise in common ESS mode 1 the system would overshoot and send power back to the grid even with a grid setpoint >0W) but we just need to double check.

Thanks in advance

image-2021-02-08-145436.png

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

MATEUS SILVA DE OLIVEIRA avatar image MATEUS SILVA DE OLIVEIRA commented ·

Please, someone answer this. I have the same question.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @perma-batteries and @Mateus Silva de Oliveira

must be written once every minute, not less, or the system will go into passthru.
What is not clear about this? maybe lost in translation? they must be written at least once per minute, but yes of course usually they are updated much faster (Seconds) in an active system.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

randyoo avatar image randyoo commented ·

Yes, there is ambiguity. For a native English speaker, "once every minute, not less" might be understood to mean "once every minute, not less (than a minute)".

Perhaps a more clear way of communicating the requirement would be to state that it must be written/refreshed, at minimum, once per minute. Or resolve the ambiguity by saying "once every minute, no less frequently", but that sounds rather awkward.

0 Likes 0 ·
perma-batteries avatar image
perma-batteries answered ·

Nobody has the answer ? Any Victron tech team here ?

Thanks

2 |3000

elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

I too have read this in the manual.

The once every min has NOT been my experience.

I set it once and only once. It hold's until I change it again at some later date.

I wonder if its mistaken ModBus for MQTT?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Elvis most likely you are not using mode 3, but rather mode 2.
0 Likes 0 ·