question

rgrver avatar image
rgrver asked

Smart Battery Sense + MPPT 75/15 stop charging at low temp?

Just installed a lithium battery in my camper. Can my MPPT 75/15 be programmed to stop charging below freezing? Yes, I know lithium BMS should stop charging from happening , but I found out after buying this one it doesn't. Not in freezing weather that much, so it's probably not a big deal. I'll just shut off the solar until it warms up.

2nd Question: Will I be able to see the sensor temperature via Victron Connect?

Thanks,

Ralph

MPPT SmartSolarSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
marc-de-montreal avatar image
marc-de-montreal answered ·

a good BMS should disconnect at low temp and may be an issue with a solar controller (the 12v disappear and this is bad for the controller).. many have a headache about it.. low temp, low battery voltage or low cell voltage, over voltage and others protection disconnect..

the Victron solar controllers with a low temperature battery stop charging feature is it available?? (i don’t know but should be for lithium batt)..

the smart battery sense (Bluetooth) give voltage and temperature of the battery if on it.. but useless if the low temp stop charging feature don’t exist in your case..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marc-de-montreal avatar image
marc-de-montreal answered ·

i have downloaded the application now and in the parameters section, you have the low temp disconnect at the bottom for lithium battery.. if activated, you can adjust to temperature as you want.. happy to know it!!!

2 |3000

rgrver avatar image
rgrver answered ·

Marc: Thanks for your replies. I investigated further after posting and found out the same you did. I'm going out to my camper today to install the Battery Sense and make sure I have the MPPT firmware version with the low temp cutoff. I'm really happy to know I won't have to turn off solar myself when it gets freezing. :)

1 comment
2 |3000

marc-de-montreal avatar image marc-de-montreal commented ·

happy too!! ;)

0 Likes 0 ·