question

nickdb avatar image

choosing the right lithium battery

I'm busy thinking about changing to lithium batteries.

There is a lot of choice out there.

Pylon is very popular and they make many claims about life and performance - does anyone have any real-world experience especially in the victron ecosystem?

Victron LiFEPO4 also look good but are way more expensive and on paper have a less exciting set of specs and guarantee.

Paper and practice aren't the same thing, so I have much more confidence victron would deliver what is promised. (You also need at least two for a 48V inverter).

Thoughts and comments welcomed.

Lithium Batterybattery
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
ewalderasmus avatar image
ewalderasmus answered ·

In terms of the pylontech performance, I have been very impressed, and it does what it says, when looking at them keep in mind their rated current specs, but if you stay within them you have no issues.

I have had inrush current issues with the units, but that can be solved by going into charge only first, or charging the internal caps of the inverter with a high power resistor first.

In terms of their warranty, I have only had the units for a year so cannot comment on that.

Regards Ewald

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

randy-putnam avatar image
randy-putnam answered ·

I researched LiFEPO4 batteries and was impressed with Battle Born. I bought 2 100AH, wired them in parallel for my boat’s house bank, and used Victron components to complete the system (MPPT 100/30, Orion Smart 12/12-30, BMV712). The Battle Borns have a built in BMS and have worked well for me. 10 year warranty and assembled in the USA. Also found their tech assistance very accessible and helpful.

julia-yu avatar image
julia-yu answered ·

Buy Winston cells and DIY your own battery.

www.skypowerintl.com

We ship Winston cells from Winston factory directly!

tmartin000 avatar image
tmartin000 answered ·

Costco legendary warranty, Lion Energy UT-1300, $250 off retail EACH and fantastic to boot!!!

msmolow avatar image
msmolow answered ·

Check out Lithionics. They have UL listed 48 volt batteries.

https://lithionicsbattery.com/

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

I don't understand why Pylontech does not make 16 cells batteries (for 48V nominal systems) and rise the pricees by 8%. They would still have some of the best prices (excluding DIY route).

alan avatar image
alan answered ·

Batterytest center has pylontech ranking at the top so far. Installed 7/2016 and cycled non stop (almost) since.
A lot of other major brands have failed in that time.
https://batterytestcentre.com.au/wp-content/uploads/BatteryTestingReport9Sept2020.pdf

I'm interested in the performance of the FZSONICK Molten salt battery.

https://batterytestcentre.com.au/

As a side note, the victron smart batteries use Winston prismatic cells inside with their own BMS.

nigelfxs avatar image
nigelfxs answered ·

I am very happy with my BlueNova 12kWh battery - it is just over 2 years old and performing like new. See https://www.bluenova.co.za/

It is recognised and supported by Victron.