question

kimelim avatar image
kimelim asked

One cerbo gx, Two shunts to measure another DC supply

Hi.

I have a cerbo gx in the cabin. There I have a shunt from before and want to add an extra shunt. The plan is for it to measure the 24v dc current coming from the wind turbine (Primus Windpower Air 40, 24V) into the battery bank. will this work?

cerbo gxVE.CanHydro and Wind Power
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Kimelim,

if the shunt from before is also a BMV or SmartShunt, then yes, it will work. Be aware that you have to make a choice in the Cerbo settings which of the shunts you will see info in the graphical display. The other one will appear only in the device list, but with all info.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kimelim avatar image kimelim commented ·

THank you for the answer

I already have a BMW shunt in the facility. will the new extra shunt appear on the VAM online portal? and I can read of values there?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ kimelim commented ·

Yes, the second shunt does also appear on VRM.

1 Like 1 ·
ruben avatar image
ruben answered ·

Hi, wouldn´t be this a nice feature in case you have 2 or more shunts connected to the cerbo, that all shunts get displayed in the MAIN window of the graphical display? would make sense right?

Ps. I don´t know if there would be any limit of adding shunts to the Cerbo GX? Anyone knows?

1 comment
2 |3000

mrhappy avatar image mrhappy commented ·

I know there is work underway by victron developers to implement a "DC Energy Meter" function which is intended to be used in situations as this. See:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/96120/victron-smartshunt-as-a-energy-meter.html

If they will have dc metering shunts on the main window when that project is released, I don't know. Also, I believe the limit of shunts added to a Cerbo is only constricted to how many ports you have, and with USB hubs and VE.Direct-to-USB converters I don't know of any limit.

0 Likes 0 ·
goose-f16 avatar image
goose-f16 answered ·

latest status?

This will be interesting to see on the main page of the display as a DC source, and to monitor any DC to DC charging outside, for example I have 2 sources direct to my battery bank which will get picked up by the main 712, but I want shunt to shunt measurement of that Alternator voltage coming from my 2 DC to DC charging systems, one is 1700 watts one is 600 watts, both of them would connect to sub shunt, and I would want that to show on the main page someday.. so I think Im saying the same things as others setting a secondary source as a DC source on main page using the display from cerbogx? thank you..

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You can now program BMV-712 or SmartShunt as a DC meter, then select a sub type (alternator, wind generator, and several others). These will then appear in the device list as that type of device. Plus if you install GuiMods, and select DC Coupled for the flow, these will all show on the main flow diagram. Note however that due to the need for the additional tiles, the DC Coupled and AC Coupled flow pages only show total power, no details like the GuiMods simple.

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

2 |3000

Related Resources