question

victronlfs avatar image
victronlfs asked

SmartShunt Ferrule Power Pin Won't Catch/Stay In

The ferrule power pin at the end of the red fused cable won't catch or stay in the VBatt hole. If I place the pin in the Aux hole, I can immediately feel resistance, and by pressing harder, the pin goes further into the hole & catches. Gently pulling on the pin shows that its well connected. Pushing the orange tab in allows me to remove the pin. On the VBatt hole there is no resistance. The pin goes out the way in & there's no catch, as if a spring or something isn't woking to hold the pin in. I can freely move the pin in/out of the VBatt hole.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this & resolved?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Contact your dealer to get a replacement.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

victronlfs avatar image victronlfs commented ·

Thanks. That's always an option, but hopefully someone has a DIY solution.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 victronlfs commented ·

Try to push a few times the orange tab of the defective contact (without inserting the pin). Or maybe you already did this.

0 Likes 0 ·
victronlfs avatar image victronlfs seb71 commented ·

I tried a different approach. I inserted the pin and then started pushing the orange "tab" in while gently pulling on the pin. I ended up pushing the tab in pretty hard figuring I had little to lose. I also inserted a very, very small screwdriver into the very small hole immediately under the orange tab and moved it around. Something I did worked because now the pin is locked in again and I have power to shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ victronlfs commented ·

I don't think there is much you can do. The contact is broken. Maybe you can disassemble the shunt but that will void the warranty.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic