question

sebcbien avatar image
sebcbien asked

Monitoring alternator temperature with CERBO GX to regulate a Buck/Boost charger

Hello,

Here is the main idea, not sure if it's possible.

I have a 180A alternator on my sprinter 2020 and I want to install two DC-DC Sterling 12->48V of 70A each to charge 6Kw of Lithium batteries.

I want the Cerbo GX to monitor the alternator temperature and disconnect one of the two sterling when there is too much heat.

Is that feasible ?

Thanks !

MPPT Controllerscerbo gxLithium BatteryOrion DC-DC Converters not smartalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

As far as I know its not posiable, for the cerbo to do that. haveyou looked at the wakespeed WS500 alternator regulator as that has a really good temperature control thats adjustable, plus a full can bus connection for monitoring

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sebcbien avatar image sebcbien commented ·

Thanks for your answer Paul !

Yes, I looked at those solution, and also the Balmar and Safiery solutions.

They are quite expensive ! but my principal concerns are to not "mess" with the electrical installation of the sprinter, possibly interfere with the euro-6 stuffs and most importantly the warranty.

To simplify my needs, do the Cerbo GX allow to act on his output relays depending on a temperature threshold of one of his temp sensor ?

edit: found the response here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/66045/measuring-and-switching-on-extraction-fan.html

more info here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:large

so... not yet pre-installed, I will maybe test the node red stuff.

0 Likes 0 ·
richardp avatar image
richardp answered ·

Just as an idea, Maybe it would be possible to install a temperature switch to control the second B2B, you could bond this onto the alternator's frame with JB weld.

Normally Closed / Open Thermal KSD9700 Protectors Temperature Switch Thermostat | eBay

They are cheap enough that you could use two in series so that you have peace of mind and some redundancy built in / cover different areas of the alternator.

1 comment
2 |3000

sebcbien avatar image sebcbien commented ·

Clever peoples here !

That's indeed a good idea also !

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
sebcbien avatar image
sebcbien answered ·

Hello,

Some feedback here for those interested:

I just bought a STC-1000 temperature controller. https://www.amazon.com/Elitech-STC-1000-Temperature-Controller-Centigrade/dp/B00Y8T9YZG

I will control the second DC-DC charger like a boiler: stop when reaching 100°C , restart at 85°C

I will have a direct view of the alternator temperature on my dashboard to better understand how the temperature behaves.

Later I will probably do it with my Cerbo GX and Node Red.

2 comments
2 |3000

richardp avatar image richardp commented ·

Smart solution! I'd be interested to know what sort of temperatures you get with the various operating conditions.

I have a 2011 Sprinter with the 180amp alternator. Using a Votronic B2B 1212 90amp charger for 300ah of Lithiums.

Good luck with your setup.

0 Likes 0 ·
sebcbien avatar image sebcbien richardp commented ·

Hello, some return, I installed it and the temps, when pulling around 80 amps, are quite low (max 60°C) but the outside temps are between 2 and 12°C for the moment.

0 Likes 0 ·