question

alan-baker avatar image
alan-baker asked

Orion TR Smart DC-DC - Charge is Disabled

Hello all,

Struggling with my motorhome set-up. The B2B will not charge the leasure battery. I just get "charge is disabled". The voltage seems to cycle up and down on the input, regardless of the engine running or not.

I have tried every setting I can think of to change but now I am at my wit's end and starting to suspect it hasn't been installed correctly.

Could anyone offer any advice please. Thank you.

screenshot-20210127-180426.jpg

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It doesn't JUST say "Charge is disabled". If you read beyond those three words it tells you why:
"Charge is disabled due to: Remote input inactive"

You might be wondering what the Remote input is?
The remote input is circled in red. If you have removed that jumper, then the Remote input will be inactive. If you put it back, your unit will become active again.

1611776145515.png

1611776145515.png (356.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alan-baker avatar image
alan-baker answered ·

Thanks for the reply.

It states both, the message as I posted with the screenshot and simply "charge is disabled". It cycles through, the latter is there most of the time, the more complex one flashes up evey so often.

The green jumper is installed I just double checked.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

screenshot-20210127-180405.jpg

5 comments
2 |3000

Check if charger is enabled by clicking on the setting wheel.

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-baker avatar image alan-baker Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

It is definitely enabled in the settings yes

thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ alan-baker commented ·

I suspect it's a 12V system. Wonder why the input voltage in your first screenshot is showing 26.5V.

How is your wiring, any photos or a diagram?

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-baker avatar image alan-baker Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I did not install the system so unfortunately unable to help there. It was installed professionally but I am concerned that they have made a mistake of some kind.

It's certainly a 12V system it's a campervan with 3 AGM batteries and solar.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ alan-baker commented ·

Well, the max. input voltage for the Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-x is 17V. Anything beyond could brick it and furthermore can be a serious risk.

I suggest you get back to your installer and let him check the installation before something goes completely wrong.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You could check that the charger is enabled in the settings:

1611778380405.png

Another thing might be that the Input Voltage lock-out is set or set incorrectly:

1611778489202.png

1611778380405.png (11.6 KiB)
1611778489202.png (32.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

alan-baker avatar image alan-baker commented ·

These are my voltage lock-out settings.

The charger enabled button is correctly selected.

screenshot-20210127-202203.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
veryactivelife avatar image
veryactivelife answered ·

The cause of cycling behavior is usually voltage drop due to using a wire size too small for the length of the run. This is particularly true with smart alternators. Follow the wire size guidelines in the Victron manual.

1 comment
2 |3000

I will look into this thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The input Voltage confuses me a bit.
Which model do you have? I initially thought you have the 24V input model because your input Voltage is showing 26.5V, but then you show Input Voltage lock-out settings for a 12V model.

If it is a 12V model, then 26.5V is too high, the maximum is 17V.

3 comments
2 |3000

It's a 12V system. I also don't understand why or how the voltage can be so high. I didn't install it so trying to fault find is difficult.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ alan-baker commented ·

Indeed, fault finding can be annoying.
So now all I can suggest is to double check the input Voltage with a multimeter.
It's unlikely that the Orion is lying about the input Voltage, but it helps to sanity check.
If it is high, then the cause of the high Voltage needs to be determined.
Probably best to disconnect the input soon to avoid damage in either case, assuming no damage has been done yet.

0 Likes 0 ·
veryactivelife avatar image veryactivelife alan-baker commented ·

You haven't said which model Orion you have. You've mentioned that you have a 12 volt system but is that both the motorhome starter batteries and the leisure batteries? So, please tell us the voltage of both systems and the Orion model. A screen shot of your setting might also help.

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-baker avatar image
alan-baker answered ·

I don't understand how it's possible to read higher than 12V on a 12V system. It's dark so no solar and the engine isn't running.

If I put it in power supply mode (which I don't understand) it's still reading high. screenshot-20210127-204815.jpg

2 |3000

frank-douce avatar image
frank-douce answered ·

I've got the same issue, followed the install instructions which are straight forward but it wont allow me to set less than 16v very frustrating i would love to know what the final answer in this post was.

2 |3000