question

tim22 avatar image
tim22 asked

Charging a secondary battery from inverter

Is it acceptable to charge a secondary FLA battery from an inverter running off a primary LiFePO4 bank as per the attached drawing. Thanks - Tim LiFePO4 Start Battery Charging.pdf

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You could do it like that.

Another way would be to use a DC-DC charger like one of these:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Orion-Tr-Smart-DC-DC-chargers-non-isolated-360-400W-EN.pdf

There are 12V to 12V, 12V to 24V, 24V to 12V or 24V to 24V versions.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tim22 avatar image
tim22 answered ·

Thanks wkirby

The advantage of going through the Multiplus is that when I am connected to shore power the secondary battery will be charged using shore power but when disconnected I can charge through the inverter if needed.

Tim

2 |3000

tim22 avatar image
tim22 answered ·

I looked at the Orion Charger but it seems to be designed to charge the house battery from the alternator supplied start battery. I would need to charge in the opposite direction ( from house to start). Is there any documentation that covers this scenario?

Thanks
Tim

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic