question

Woody avatar image
Woody asked

Wireless remote screen using Raspberry Pi - Possible?

I've searched here and Googled elsewhere and haven't found what I'm looking for so maybe one of the smarter than me people here can tell me if this is possible. I have a 40' RV with my Cerbo GX installed way in the back. I want to have a display for it up front roughly 35' away. Is there a GOOD way to do this? A tablet running the remote console is not good. I was thinking a Raspbery Pi running Venus connected to the network via Wifi or Ethernet somehow slaved to the Cerbo or has someone come up with a way to install the GX Touch 50 remotely?

cerbo gxVenus OSgx deviceremote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi have you tried running the MFD App on the tablet (which can if you like it also be ran on a rpi no doubt).

See MFD App section in the Cerbo manual.
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/marine-mfd-integration-by-app.html

Extending a HDMI signal over that distance (for the GX Touch itself) might be possible; or not; but I wouldnt know.

“Slaving” a second gx device is not possible I’m afraid.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Woody avatar image Woody commented ·

So far, the MFD is the best option I've found other than using the CSS edited Remote Console to remove the arrow keys. The biggest problem with the MFD is I haven't found a way for it to display tank levels. Am I missing something?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Woody commented ·

right, that is missing the tanks. Which were left out on purpose, since the original idea (showing this on a marine MDF) doesn't need tanks: the MFD itself can show tanks.

however, thanks for the reminder - for many use cases it would be nice to have the tanks; I'll make sure its done.

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

+1

1 Like 1 ·
Woody avatar image Woody mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

That would be great! An option in Venus to remove the directional keys from the remote console would also be a fantastic addition with minimal reprogramming. It would allow an easy option for running the remote in a kiosk browser for any tablet or RPI without having to edit the CSS which I hear is easy to break with new firmware updates.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Woody commented ·
Hi

You can run a raspi in Kiosk mode in wireless mode and control and view data from that screen quit easily.
As i have done this on a couple of sites.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

Connect a TP-Link TL-WA901ND with Ethernet to the Cerbo.

Configure the TP-Link as an access point

Connect to the AP and start the Remote Console or VictronConnect

1 comment
2 |3000

Woody avatar image Woody commented ·

What will that do other than add complexity? Sounds like that would help with range but I don’t see how it’ll give me a more functional remote.

0 Likes 0 ·