question

szymlis avatar image
szymlis asked

MPPT relay trigered by charging

Hi,

In my aplication i need detection of charging by MPPT. I was going to use the build in relay, but there is no such option. The perfect solution would be to trigger it when charging power is for example 50W or higher. As i saw in configuration its not posible to detect charging, so for sure its not posible to detect specific power of charging. Now im using Day detection option, but its also not working - if there is some not natural source of light its always trigered.

Summarizing i need to detect day of charging from MPPT, prefered without any other devices.

Relay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
lehrling avatar image
lehrling answered ·

Do you have a BMV?

Just curious, what is your relay going to switch?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

szymlis avatar image szymlis commented ·

I'm not using BMV in this aplication.

I just need this infromation for another logic module which manages the generator. Maybe even changing the sensitiveness of day detection would solve my problem, but i also dont see this optrion.

Do You think that BMV would help somehow? I have one and can add it to the system.

0 Likes 0 ·
lehrling avatar image
lehrling answered ·

It has a programmable relay function.

2 comments
2 |3000

Also MPPT 150/45 has "programmable" relay function. The problem is that the programing is just choosing few predefined option without any logic or parammeters. I wouldnt say it is not rograming. And i quess BMV has the same only few options to choose from. I already bought MPPT 150/45 beacue i was sure i would use this day detection option, and now i wouldnt like to add there any other devices like BMV.

0 Likes 0 ·
szymlis avatar image szymlis szymlis commented ·

Do You have some documention about the BMV relay options?

0 Likes 0 ·
lehrling avatar image
lehrling answered ·

"Also MPPT 150/45 has "programmable" relay function."

If your MPPT has the programmable relay function, how about using the Battery voltage High parameter to detect battery charging?

From the VictronConnect manual:

A programmable relay switch is available on some SmartSolar models. The datasheet for your model will tell you whether or not it is available.

Battery voltage High settings

1. Battery high-voltage relay. (The default setting for this is 16.50V) (12V battery assumed)

2. Clear battery high-voltage relay. (The default setting for this is 16.00V)

1 comment
2 |3000

I cannot use high voltage, because in the same time im using 230V charger powered by generator. So battery charging dosent mean that its charging by MPPT. So it will detected a solar charging when i will be using gnerator.

0 Likes 0 ·
lehrling avatar image
lehrling answered ·

"I cannot use high voltage, because in the same time im using 230V charger powered by generator."

Perhaps another relay mode parameter could work - how about Panel Voltage high with value set at 5V higher than your battery charger voltage?

From the VictronConnect manual:

Relay mode

1. Relay always off. This option switches the relay OFF. It will disable the other relay options. Use this option if you do not plan to use the relay function.

2. Panel voltage high. This option switches the relay ON when the panel voltage becomes too high. See Panel voltage high mode settings below.

3. High temperature (Dimming). This option switches the relay ON when the charger output current is reduced due to high temperatures. Use this option to for example switch an external fan.

4. Battery voltage Low. This option switches the relay in ON when the battery voltage falls too low, see Battery voltage Low settings below. This is the default setting when the relay function is active.

5. Equalization active. This option switches the relay ON when the manual equalization mode is active.

6. Error state. This option switches the relay ON when there is an error.

7. Defrost option (Temp < -20 °C). This option switches the relay ON when the Charger temperature falls below -20 degrees Centigrade.

8. Battery voltage high. This option switches the relay ON when the battery voltage is too high, see Battery voltage High settings below.

9. Float or Storage state. This option switches the relay ON when the charger is in the float state.

10. Day detection (Panels irradiated). This option switches the relay ON whilst the solar panels are providing energy (Day/Night detection).

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic