question

catweasel11 avatar image
catweasel11 asked

Other than changing inverter to 24v . Is bigger wire the only option ?

Hello, I have a victron

12v 3,000 watt inverter .

My houseboat is all electric

My big appliances are always at low voltage.

To low. The wire from batterys to inverter are .50 . I have 8 100amp batterys and 4 200 watt panels. The distance from batterys to inverter to circuit breakers are maximum 1 meter away for all.

What can I do to compensate low voltage other than purchasing a 24 or 36 volt inverter ? Cheers, John Payne

battery system voltage
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

"My big appliances are always at low voltage" . What other high power 12v appliances do you have? Distance from batteries?

"To low. The wire from batterys to inverter are .50 ." The recommended dc wiring for your inverter is 2 x 50mm sq. (<5m)

multi-12-3000-cable.png

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
alan avatar image
alan answered ·

Are the "big appliances" all AC 120/240v that are receiving low voltage? What is the voltage output at the inverter when under load?

Victron recommends 2x 50mm cables for your inverter, so your only at half the recommended.

Also all links between batteries need to be of the same current capacity. so 100mm total. Either busbar or cable.

I've trouble shot a few systems with low AC output under load and most if not all were due to too small cables.

50.jpg

50.jpg (31.8 KiB)
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

catweasel11 avatar image catweasel11 commented ·

ah , I see the confusion, The Victron cuts off before anything like that happens. I am all electric 240 , No connection to grid. The victron does the work

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ catweasel11 commented ·

My babel fish just went belly up :(...

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 catweasel11 commented ·

So what you are actually trying to say is that the inverter shuts down because of low battery voltage?

0 Likes 0 ·
catweasel11 avatar image catweasel11 seb71 commented ·

yes , it does what it is supposed to .

0 Likes 0 ·

You refer to 2x 50 mm2 . I assumed by this one red one black . Or is it the wrong assumption ? Because I have that with a 400 fuse

0 Likes 0 ·

I see now, Must be why the inverter has 2 sets of positive and negative connection? . I actually need two 50" from each battery post ..

0 Likes 0 ·
alan avatar image alan catweasel11 commented ·

yes 2x = 2 positive, 2 negative. 4 Cables total

(or if you can fit a cable with the sum of the surface area, i.e. 100mm, then you can only use 2)

when using too small a gauge cable, under high load the resistance of the cable increases, which in turn hinders current flow and reduces voltage.

Remember an inverter doesn't "make power" it simply converts it, if enough can't get to the inverter, then it will fail to output

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Are you talking about DC appliances?

These have nothing to do with the inverter or with the wires from the battery to the inverter.

2 |3000

catweasel11 avatar image
catweasel11 answered ·

I am all electric 240

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic