question

hummingbear avatar image
hummingbear asked

Why are VE Direct to USB cables so expensive?

I'm helping a friend setup a Victron system and paying $30 for a USB cable is painful and a hard sell since we have to buy them for every device to connect it to VenusOS.

Are there any generics of these cables?

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

USB to VE.direct cables should not be necessary to connect every Victron device to a Cerbo GX?

I have no insight into the price of the cable sorry, but they are not usually necessary at all - and often there is another way to design the system that does not require them.

VE.Direct to VE.Direct cables are very cheap, so are CAT5/canbus cables - and they should able to serve 99% of installations.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Please read this post as it explains why QUALITY is important

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/48562/vedirect-diy-cable.html

1 comment
2 |3000

hummingbear avatar image hummingbear commented ·

I'm not talking about self made cables, I'm wondering why victron needed to create a proprietary cable to data transfer and charge $30 for it when there are many other universal options out there that by _no means_ sacrifice quality

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources