question

Michael Schmidt avatar image
Michael Schmidt asked

SmartSolar MPT 150/100 not starts Charging

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with SmartSolar MPPT 150 / 100.

It is not starts Charging or starts much to late.
One MPPT 150/100 was already exchanged.
The new one has the same Behavior.

cust2.png

on the right its the replaced MPPT 150/100 left the old one (the old one started much to late, there was some hours pv voltage before he started loading)

Already checked is:

- the remote of contactor

- the mode is external control

- the Firmware is v3.02

need some help i dont know how to go on.

here two additional shots from the same unit without changing parameters.

NORMAL START AND BEHAVIOR

normal.png

LATE START (pv is long time in Voc "Voltage open circiut" without load)

late-start.png

MPPT SmartSolar
cust1.png (78.3 KiB)
cust2.png (162.4 KiB)
normal.png (156.2 KiB)
late-start.png (187.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michael Schmidt avatar image
Michael Schmidt answered ·

Seems that last comment of user was deleted?

here the solution for all again.

Other customer also have 3 broken SmartSolar MPPT 150/100 from different weeks.
we replaced the first broken 150/100 and the new one was also broken.

the most disappointing point is that victron staff tells nothing of this here, and maybe also deleted the posts??

in rma it was asked if the new divice is working, so i can assume the problem is known!

we have to replace the customers device now third time, and searched the fault lots of hours
thats expensive for an installer!!

11 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

That "other customer" deleted a similar discussion we had on his Youtube channel. There he said he had this issue and I told him that I read some posts on Victron forums about it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt seb71 commented ·

Hey seb71
I received the 3rd replacement unit now and its also broken.

0 Likes 0 ·
kalito avatar image kalito Michael Schmidt commented ·

What type of panels are connected and how are they connected?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Michael Schmidt commented ·

That user replaced all 3 of his 150/100 VE.Can chargers with 3 new 250/100 VE.Can chargers - he just posted a video about this replacement today.

Of course now he pretends he does not know anything about any issue with certain chargers.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt seb71 commented ·

Unbelivable!

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt commented ·

Last Update!

the MPPT is replaced with Smartsolar 250/100 and runs perfectly from the first minute after installation.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Michael Schmidt you did not say how the panels are stringed to your mppt. 250/100 is 100V bigger than the 150/100 you had. could it be that its the way your panels are strung?

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt kalito commented ·

Hi Kalito,

there are 3 panels in a row and 4 of the rows parallel.

in initial post you find detailed voltage curves with also open circuit voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·

Now that you have a CC which can handle 250V the number of panels in series can increase. What is the VoC of your panels?

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt kalito commented ·

@Kalito i wrote it several times now the Voc is 119v you can also find that in the victron graphs in initial posts.

you can see there that the mppt current is 0A the voltage is 119v so this
Is the Voc under the actual conditions.

and of course i know that a 250/100 can handle 250V and i also know that its more than a 150/100 cqn handle but its nothing around the problem.

PLEAS have a DETAILED look on the inial post and the graphs you
have all informations there! After you understand that graphs you should be able to answer all questions you posted here!

Sorry but ALL your posts here would be unnecessary if you had read
the initial post carefully! Evey Post you ask for details that you can find in the graphs!

0 Likes 0 ·

I think you have misunderstood my question. I was not asking about the Voc of the combined panels but rather of the individual panels. I have followed that the problem is solved with the CC change. I was just curious as to why currently someone would still maintain 119Voc on a 250Voc CC. As much as the problem is fixed their configuration may not be optimal for their bigger CC thats what I was driving at. I have 2 strings of 5x430W series half cut monos on a 250/100.

0 Likes 0 ·
kalito avatar image
kalito answered ·

What do you mean by starting late in the context of what is connected to the Mppt and how it is connected? That detail is required to understand your situation. The also note that I believe the mppt will only start charging if the voltage is atleast 5V above your battery voltage. If two units are giving you similar issues check your panel configuration and cabling.

What is the SOC of the batteries?

1 comment
2 |3000

Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt commented ·

Hi Kalito,

yes of course the Battery Voltage is much lower than 119V :)

i add you a picture of SOC / Battery Voltage / and Solar Charger

cust2.png

0 Likes 0 ·
cust2.png (162.4 KiB)