question

rodger avatar image
rodger asked

CCGX reboots frequently. Possible settings file corrupt.

I have a CCGX at one of our installations that keeps rebooting. Although it does reboot spontaneously it will reboot whenever a setting is changed. The change in setting is not persited over the reboot.

Unfortunately I had not yet enabled root access to the device and now can't do so as attempting to set the root password causes a reboot. It does seem to change to superuser mode but this does not persist over a reboot.

Is there a way to "clean" out the device and revert to a stock firmware?

At the moment it is on 2.20. Supposedly auto updates were disabled but it seems to have enabled this and done the update to 2.22. As for other settings disabling auto updates does not stick.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Regards,

Rodger

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

There is an option in option in the Firmware menu to revert to a previous version.

However I believe it has a fault. Please take it back to your place of purchase for a warranty replacement.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rodger avatar image
rodger answered ·

Thank-you for the prompt reply. I did manage to get it to revert to the previous firmware but it did not make any difference. In particular the auto update setting meant that it just repeated the upgrade while I had it on the test bench.

I'll follow up for warranty replacement.

2 |3000

rodger avatar image
rodger answered ·

Today I managed to get ssh access to the unit. It stayed up long enough to enable supervisor access and set a simple password.

After ssh in I can see that /data is mounted read-only. It appears to be RW for at least some of the boot process as there are files in /data/log with current time stamps. However, soon after mounting UBI device 0, volume 2, name "data" it switches to read only as uncorrectable errors are detected.
I'm not very familiar with UBI but it seems that this is not something that can be fixed by something like fsck?

Here is a snip from dmesg that shows the failure:

2 comments
2 |3000

I admire your persistence, and there may be others than can help.

But I really think the solution is a new unit replaced under warranty. What you are experiencing is not normal and Victron does not expect customers to go to these lengths to attempt self repairs.

0 Likes 0 ·
rodger avatar image rodger Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

:-D

It's going in this week and will hopefully be sorted out quickly.

In the meantime curiosity got the better of me...

0 Likes 0 ·