question

bulraydin avatar image
bulraydin asked

Using Victron as Voltage Regulator, How does ESS respond ?

I have many cases, where the customers complain about grid voltage fluctuations. In these place I would like to find a solution to use Victron as a regulator instead of a bigger standart voltage regulator.

Attached an example of a design, which I think should work.

In this design Multiplus No:2 is the main inverter, which supplies the loads.

It is AC and DC coupled and ESS will run on it.

However No:2 will only accept 'AC in' between tight boundaries (e.g. between 210 - 230 V)

Hence if there is voltage fluctuation for a longer time, and no sun, the batteries will go below minimum SOC level. Therefore another Multiplus is needed:

Multiplus No: 1 , this will accept weak AC and charge the batteries, which is enabled by No:2 with a relay signal, closing the relay K1. No2 will open K1 as soon as minimum SOC is reached.

My questions :

1. Do you see any problems with this setup ?

2. How does ESS react on such a case ? It will not know about the Multiplus No:1 but see that the battery voltage is increasing. Probably it will not do anything, as long as the SOC is at minimum ?

awaiting your comments.

victron_asregulator_1.pdf

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@bulraydin

An interesting idea. SOC would be an issue on both inverters though.

It may be easier to set up the pv inverter and one multi as off grid and using one or two skylla chargers to be able to charge from grid as needed. You would probably need a bmv then as well so the multi would know when it was being charged from another source.

The Victron inverters to not actively regulate power just reject it or accept it based on set parameters. As it synchronises with grid, the second multi would end up synchronized to the first which would be copying the bad grid.

We have bad grid where we are so see where you are coming from with the idea though.

Use the money you save by not having an extra solar or edd more storage to the main system

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I would replace Multi 2 with an inverter (no AC input). Your output voltage would be rock solid.

If you want to feed power back to the grid, Multi 1 could do that.

As Alexandra suggested, a charger could replace Multi 1 if you don't need to feed power back to the grid.

2 |3000