question

peternielsen avatar image
peternielsen asked

Never position the appliance directly above the batteries.

Hi,

Is this also the case for LiFePo4 battery and if it has a plastic cover ? Is this rule not more for lead acid batteries that eliminates gas ? I have a Multiplus II

/Petet

Multiplus-IILithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
dbvanhorn avatar image
dbvanhorn answered ·

Flooded cells outgas, and can cause an explosion if you get "lucky", but Lithium batteries don't do that. Barring some sort of catastrophic accidental short circuit, everything should be fine. Even then, the internal battery management should detect the short and shut the battery off. This may or may not be recoverable depending on the design, and I would never be comfortable with only one safety barrier keeping me out of a catastrophe.

I always place a circuit breaker (manual reset type!) right where the positive cable comes out of the battery, and of course use mechanical barriers against accidental contact.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

peternielsen avatar image peternielsen commented ·

Yes so that's also what I was thinking but the manual does not specify that this rules applies only to lead acid batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
simontaylor avatar image
simontaylor answered ·

Surely it is safer, or safest, to follow this rule for all battery types....... just in case someone retro-fits Lead Acid batteries in the future.

2 |3000