question

Kieran Kennedy avatar image
Kieran Kennedy asked

GSM modem offline

I have recently purchased a victron Gsm 4G lte modem. I have connected it to my cerbo GX however it will not go on line. I have already tried changing all the apn names. The blue light on the modem is flashing and I can connect to the VRM portal no problem. Wi-Fi is turned off also. Can someone please tell me what is going on .? The signal is strong. However not connecting to internet. Always stating offline. Tried rebooting and other SIM cards with no joy
2cc3c5d9-4ac3-45c5-929c-a60f53ca1d2b.pngbd6bc494-8aaf-444e-9a81-ab506698d0a3.png

gsm
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
liher avatar image
liher answered ·

Hello, I have the same error with an Orange sim card from Spain.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

What version of the OS are you using, have you upgraded to the latest? There was a problem fixed in a alter release.

2 |3000

liher avatar image
liher answered ·

I updated to latest from remote console, v2.60.

4 comments
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·

I think the fix is in beta release. V2.62~1 had a fix, that addressed my issue on Vodafone UK.

Just looking at updates there seem to be further updates being made. It looks like there are changes to the system related to the GSM/LTE modem in beta release 2.62~12 which was created a few days ago.

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm bathnm commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
liher avatar image liher bathnm commented ·

I will have a look, thank you very much!

0 Likes 0 ·
liher avatar image liher liher commented ·

Works! Many thanks!!

0 Likes 0 ·
energywonk avatar image
energywonk answered ·

i have a victron GX GSM 4G LTE setup in Australia. it worked flawlessley for 9 months however it has now lost connection permanently after losing in february also. we have tried everything from new sim cards, to reboots, to checking all settings. can anyone help please as would love to get this thing working again as spent 3 hours today trying to work out what is going on. im wondering if a firmware update did something as it seems to have been booted off network on the 18th of february and also on the 18th of april.

2 |3000

kylemizell avatar image
kylemizell answered ·

I am having the same issue with losing connection, and the device not doing a good job of getting it back - if it loses connection, it will stay offline until I reboot the GX device.

I have not tried the troubleshooting steps outlined here, but I'm assuming you all have already seen these and tried them without success. I figured I would share them anyway.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/GX_GSM/en/troubleshooting.html

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/GX_GSM/en/installation-and-configuration.html#UUID-1e556b74-a38b-cbd5-b3ad-0074e29eefe5

I'm going to try them next time I'm at my site, and hopefully report back. I don't like that there isn't smarter retry logic in the devices (like a mobile phone), and that you have to reboot the device(s) instead.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @KyleMizell as well as others, sorry to hear about your troubles!

There is an auto-reboot feature. Which reboots both the GX Device as well as the connected GX GSM or GX LTE 4G modem.

Its in the menus, Settings -> VRM Portal. See this screenshot:

1663797873838.png

1663797873838.png (59.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic