question

50pips avatar image
50pips asked

Phoenix Smart Charger IP43 with Cerbo GX

I have a Phoenix Smart Charger IP43 and have connected it via VE.Direct to the Cerbo GX. How can i get the screen to say i have AC connected as currently it says nothing. It does show up in the Settings that its connected. I have the Battery monitor/shunt installed and it does show amps going in through the shunt part but would be good if it shows on the screen as AC input.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @50pips,

of no value depends. You get extended information (depending on the number of outputs), which you probably won't see from the shunt.

Here are a couple of screenshots showing a Phoenix Smart IP43-50 with 3 outputs and how they appear on a GX device. When the GX device connects to VRM, you'll get info there as well.

bildschirmfoto-2021-01-01-um-223552.png

bildschirmfoto-2021-01-01-um-223608.png

bildschirmfoto-2021-01-01-um-223637.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @50pips, welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately that's not how it works - the "AC Input" display on the Cerbo will be given by a connected inverter/charger like a MultiPlus or Quattro that is taking AC input in and passing it through. Your charger, although it does plug into AC, is not in itself an AC input into the system because it is not providing any AC throughput, it is only consuming it.

2 |3000

50pips avatar image
50pips answered ·

Thank you for your reply. So basically then the VE.Direct connection on this charger is of no value as the shunt by itself shows everything anyway.

2 |3000

50pips avatar image
50pips answered ·

Thanks Stefanie. Yeah i do see that as well when i connect directly. Might been good though if the Cerbo could have shown the AC was on and what output it was doing (charging). I wouldn't have thought it would not have been hard to do. Either way thank you everybody for all the answers. I will stop butting my head against the wall wondering. Might have to change to a Inverter/Charger as i hate seeing a blank box or 2 on the Cerbo. LOL

2 |3000

wesser avatar image
wesser answered ·

I am now in the same situation. I have recently bought the IP43 1+1 charger for my campervan, I do not have a need for an inverter so I chose the IP43 charger option.

I am now quite disappointed to see that the charger is not displayed on the Venus OS as an item nor does it show current flow, this has to be calculated using the power values from the battery, MPPT and the DC load.

I was contemplating replacing my Sterling B2B charger with a Victron Orion until I have now found that the Orion does even have VE-Direct at all.

What attracted me to Victron was the total integration of all of the products, seems it not the case and only certain products are integrated.

2 |3000

southsideph avatar image
southsideph answered ·

The is a question that was asked on another post and the answer, IP43 discussion.

Matthijs / Victron Energy

Ps. another Phoenix IP43 charger related issue, its visualisation in Venus OS; is quite high up on the list to be solved as well. Its still months away I'm afraid - but not as far down the list as it was .

There is hope

Rgds

1 comment
2 |3000

Stuart Bell avatar image Stuart Bell commented ·
Are we any closer on getting some visualisation on Venus OS??

0 Likes 0 ·