question

george-colgate avatar image
george-colgate asked

Problem with Quattro 48/5000 Power Assist

My Quattro 48/5000 is connected to AC 1 with a Honda 2000i –AC1 current limit=15amp.

If I have a load of ~1400 W and my refrigerator starts, the load momentarily exceeds 15 amps and the “Power Assist” cuts in as it should. However, instead of AC1 supplying 15 amps and the balance coming from the battery, it splits the load approximately in half with ~ 750 W being drawn from the battery. This is a problem when the battery is in a low SOC because it drags the battery down when it should be charging. Also, even when the AC load reduces to below 15 amps, the “power assist” is still activated and stays activated –and taking power from the battery--until the load is significantly reduced to say ~300W.

Is there anything that can be done to correct this problem?

Assistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
geoffrey-wickens avatar image
geoffrey-wickens answered ·

Hi George, I'm sorry you are having this issue. I recently purchased a brand-new Quattro 48/5000/120 and have been doing some bench testing prior to installing it into my new Outdoor RV. I am seeing exactly the same issue. Power assist is pulling from the battery even when the load is well below what the AC input can deliver. See pic. My Victron Distributor seems to think this is normal. I'm hoping someone in this community has some answers. This is not how the product is supposed to work. is this a bug or a feature? Yes, I did update the firmware to most recent version.

@George Colgate, #Quattro #Power Assist #Bug

img-00511.jpg

img-00511.jpg (4.8 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Harold Lopez avatar image
Harold Lopez answered ·
2 |3000

Charlie avatar image
Charlie answered ·

Turn off power assist

1 comment
2 |3000

jasonsele avatar image jasonsele commented ·
The problem with turning off Power Assist is that I need it. I'm plugged into 30A shore power but have a 50A RV. Power Assist allows me to go over my 30A shore power limit and feed the rest from my batteries when I fire up a bunch of appliances. I just want Power Assist to actually work right. It should use full power on the AC-In and supply additional from the battery as needed. Then turn off and go back to normal once the load reduces. Instead it cuts my AC-In and then stays stuck in Power Assist mode even after the load is gone. The Input Current Limit never returns to normal and then my batteries get drained. I hope that's not how they designed it to work.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources