question

Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image
Vangelis Beligiannis asked

Multiplus "Input current limit" not followed. AC input exceeds the limit given in the CCGX and on the VE config!!!

img-20201215-121551.jpgI have a Multiplus 24/5000 with a CCGX. Both the Multiplus and CCGX have an input current limit at 10 A (around 2300W). When the AC input is active the current goes way above the 10 A.

Any ideas?img-20201215-121534.jpg

input current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image
Vangelis Beligiannis answered ·

Ok. I contacted my supplier (ARESTIPOWER) and he recommended enabling the power assist. I already tried it and it keeps the incoming AC power low! It is a good solution. Thank you

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ahh super!

I should have thought to suggest that first!

Success!

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

For some reason your system is in Passthru mode - please read ESS FAQ #4 for info on how to correct this.

6 comments
2 |3000

Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image Vangelis Beligiannis commented ·

Hello! My system is not ESS. It is a AC coupled system using the AC input with the help of the GENERATOR START STOP settings. The CCGX triggers a relay that connects the grid on the AC input with an external realy. All the parameters described on the FAQ #4 do not apply to my system. What else can it be?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Vangelis Beligiannis commented ·

Why aren't you using an ESS system?

0 Likes 0 ·
Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image Vangelis Beligiannis Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Because my system is practically an off grid system. Connecting to the AC is very rear and only if triggered by low voltage, soc or overload parameters on the Generator conditions. It is not recommended by your posts to use the ESS.

The only parameter I found that could be causing the trouble is the LOS. It is configured to TYPE B (SAFE). On the other hand disabling it could cause issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Vangelis Beligiannis commented ·

In those conditions, when the load is greater than the Multi's capacity, or the batteries capacity, and the AC input is available, it will use the AC to run the load even if it is in excess of the AC input current limit.

The alternative is to shut down, and the Multi will avoid that shutdown if it can, to prioritise keeping the load up.

The solution there is to reduce the load.

The Multi will push as much as it can to keep the voltage up, run the load, and maintain the AC input limit set by discharging the battery or drawing from solar, but if the system cannot provide enough for the load, then ultimately the load will draw more than the soft limit set on AC input through the Multi.

0 Likes 0 ·
Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image Vangelis Beligiannis Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you VERY MUCH! I have another question since it is very difficult to get a response from a proffesional like you. I am trying to use the manual EQUALIZATION on the Multiplus from the CCGX but it will not always trigger the FRONIUS to start it. What I mean is for example :

The MPPT is taking care of the battery float and the ac loads of the house. The fronius is "sleeping" with the frequency regulation. I trigger the equalization manualy but the fronius does not "wake up" to do the job. The equalization will start only if I enable the AC input for the grid. Is it because equalization with an ac coupled offgrid system is not ever supposed to work?

0 Likes 0 ·

Sorry but please search the community already, and if you can't find a good answer, it really is best to keep to the guideline of one question per post, and ask another question.

Regarding the original question - you may find that you get a smoother performance from the system using ESS - also possible you do not, and it becomes worse, but then you can return to the status quo.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic