question

David avatar image
David asked

Three Phase off grid and single phase generator

Hi Victron team,

An installer/customer of DPA Solar is designing a 3 phase off grid system (possibly 3 x Quattro 8kVa) and has asked me if a single phase generator can be connected to AC IN on the master? I've read through the tutorial on VE SystemConfigurator and see that a similar example (3 phase gen with single phase shore power) requires 4 Multis.

Do we need 4 Quattros if the customer wants to keep his single phase gen? Or do we tell him to purchase a 3 phase gen?

Thanks

David

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger3 phaseinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello David and Paul, The answer is as follows.

In principal a three phase system works as one unit.

So although in different boxes the state the units are in is equal.

This means all three phases need to be present ( with the correct rotation) before all units will go into passthrough ( and then start charging).

There is however a setting in VeBus system configurator that this behavior can be changed.

This is called switch as group, when this is disabled the units can " decide " themselves in which state they can be.

However there are some restrictions as the output frequency needs to be equal to the input freq as otherwise the unit start going out of phase.

So L1 is the leader in these systems where " switch as group " is OFF.

So if L1 gets a 230V source connected it will change the systems frequency to match the incoming AC voltage, so that the phase voltages stay the same.

Then the L1 can go into the passthrough state and charger mode (or even power assist) while the others remain in inverter mode.

In this mode you can also transfer energy through the dc side to the other phases of course. If in this case also L2 gets a AC voltage which is 120deg out of phase of the L1, this L2 can also go into pass through/charge. Same for L3. So in your case, when L1 gets the single phase genset and switch as group is OFF, this power will be used.

There are also restrictions!

When the PV inverter support Assistant (or ESS which has this function built in) is used the switch as group may NOT be used. The reason is that if there is too much power coming from the PV on AC out, the frequency cannot be changed as there is a single phase input on which the system is synced.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David avatar image David commented ·

Hi Johannes - We really appreciate this concise answer.

David W

1 Like 1 ·
co2blaster avatar image co2blaster commented ·

Please assist:

So on a 3 phase system with the "Switch as a Group" being disabled in order to allow for a single phase Generator input,, you can not use the PV Inverter suppport, as it won't allow you to download the assistant. Is there no way using a single phase generator on the Master Multi when using PV Inverter support?

1 Like 1 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

I understand that Switch as Group cannot be disabled in the presence of a PV inverter because the inverter needs to be able to change the frequency for shifting and neither the grid nor a generator can be frequency shifted by Victron.

So, if an off grid 3-phase system with no PV inverter has Switch as Group disabled and an AC Input from a single phase generator on L1, then the frequency of all 3 units will be adjusted to match that of L1 to ensure the phases remain synchronised.

However, I do not understand why the presence of the ESS Assistant means that this function cannot be used. Again, I agree that if the ESS assistant has been configured with a PV inverter, then Switch as Group must be forced on. But if ESS is being used with DC-coupled PV only, why would it not be possible to charge a 3-phase system from a single phase generator on L1?

1 Like 1 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·
I think (but I’m not sure) that to make ESS & PV Inverter assistants work for systems where “switch as group” is disabled was just far more work to implement. So even if technically possible, it wasn’t done to work on something else instead.
1 Like 1 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

OK, well for what it is worth, we do run into the request fairly often where client installs a multi-phase Victron system to upgrade from a single phase backup generator and wants to continue to use that generator for charging. Until now, we've said no to this out of hand if the site is ordinarily grid connected and runs ESS or has a PV inverter installed.

If anyone's ever working on this code again and it is worth taking a look at again, I think you will find it ends up being welcomed by the installer community.

2 Likes 2 ·
cristimv avatar image cristimv mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
But than, there is no restriction in case there is no solar produced, right? I'm also interested to use a single phase genset with the new upgraded 3-phase system.
0 Likes 0 ·
Pavel Richter avatar image Pavel Richter commented ·

good day,

I am solving the same problem.
3ph quattro and 1 generator.
I understand the answer. However, in my case, the PV inverters will be on AC-IN, and charging will be controlled by ET340 meters. One will be at the input of the building, the other will be at the PV inverters.

So if the system is offgrid, the PV inverters will be disconnected (they are on AC-IN).
Is it possible to use ESS and "switch as group" together in this case?
The assistant will not change the frequency because there will be no inverters on AC-OUT.

Are my thoughts correct?

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
fulltarr avatar image fulltarr commented ·
I see this an old post but, is the same process for split phase where L1 (master) allows passthrough/charge and L2 inverts from the battery to maintain 240/120?
0 Likes 0 ·
Azam Amod avatar image Azam Amod commented ·
Hi. Please can you advise how can we establish if the frequency from the generator matches L1 L2 or L3?

Also, is there a way to simply charge the batteries with out going into pass-through mode?

0 Likes 0 ·
Marc Heymans avatar image
Marc Heymans answered ·

You need a 3 phase generator or a 4th Inverter/charger. The 4th unit doesnt have to be the same as the other 3, it can be a smaller unit but needs to have the same system voltage. You can then use it as a charger on the system. I have done this on 2 sites here, one off grid and one on grid

1 comment
2 |3000

gpwengineer avatar image gpwengineer commented ·
Can you provide more detail...maybe a sketch of the on grid solution? How do you prevent overcharging?
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I stand to be corrected here, as I have not done this, but my logic says that it should be posable.

However my understanding is

As each inverter is fully independant, but they all use the same battery bank and are each 120 deg out of phase from each other.

inother words set the system up as though it was going to have a 3 phase gen. but two phases would not be connected to any supply at all.

therefor you could connect a single phase gen to one inverter (best to be the master inverter),

I WOULD THINK and that one inverter would supply that say L1 phase plus the inverter charger would also charge the battery bank from that ONE inverter/charger only.

the other 2 inverters being L2 and L3 would draw off the battery bank, and supply the other two phases, so you would need to limit the consumption on those two phases to not be more than the battery chargers output on average. but then you may also have solar connected to gthe batteries and this would add to the battery charging.

Thats my thoughts, but I maybe totally wrong as well.

I dont think you would do any damage by trying , all that would happen is a shutdown I would think.

1 comment
2 |3000

David avatar image David commented ·

Thanks but because I'm passing this back to a installer/customer, i need a definite answer, so I may have to wait for Guy or HQ. Have you done many 3 phase or parallel installs?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Could you just connect an AC Charger between the single phase generator and the battery bank? That appears to be a very simple solution.

2 |3000

Marc Heymans avatar image
Marc Heymans answered ·

Yes you can do that as long as it is programmable

2 |3000

Bartłomiej Choroszczyński avatar image
Bartłomiej Choroszczyński answered ·

I've come across some chatter suggesting that this feature will be deployed soon (the possibility of using a single-phase generator in 3 phase Victron system). Can anyone provide confirmation on this?

2 |3000