question

iromeo avatar image
iromeo asked

Quattro drawing less power from grid

After almost 3 years, I finally have grid power.

For some reason, it's weak voltage (~185v) but i'll take that over a noisy genset.

Because I can't feed in, i've connected the line to AC1. I've raised the limit to 20Apms, but it acts very weird - sometimes it goes up to 3kw drawn from the grid, sometimes it's ~1.5kw, but usually stays around 2-2.5kw.

I've tried with all 3 phases and it acts the same.

I understand that I am at the end of a very long line so the voltage is now great, but I don't see why the quattro can't pull more amps from the grid? Any what's really strange it's fluctuating... acin1.png

grid
acin1.png (31.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

you are very close to the min voltage allowed 180 volts so the quattro will more than likely be reducing the draw to keep the voltage above the min AC low disconnect cutoff

1607479192672.png

1607479192672.png (4.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iromeo avatar image iromeo commented ·

That's what I thought, but this morning I had ~205v on grid and it still no go and pull more within the Input Current Limit (which at 20A should go up to 4kwh at 205v).

Still less than 24h since I got grid power so plenty of time to experiment with :)

Thanks Paul !

0 Likes 0 ·
dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

When you have such low voltage you need to configure your Multi as if the input is a generator to maximise your power. Have a look at this document and see if these settings will help resolve your issue. Even though your voltage is higher it may not sustain the current you are looking at without the voltage dropping.

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @iRomeo

what settings have you used in the Quattro? are you running any assistants?

2 |3000

godwill-electricals avatar image
godwill-electricals answered ·

Hi Team

I have a similar problem any help.

The area of the installation experiences low voltage during the day (from 12:30 pm to 9:00 pm) and thus when the load goes beyond 5kW the inverter begins to draw power from the batteries.

Normally Voltage without load will be 201V, it drops to 185V and after a short while disconnects from the grid. This causes the batteries to run down even though the grid is available.

I know it’s probably because of the Low Voltage cutoff point which is 180V.

I would like the system to draw just about 3KW from the grid within this duration and operate fully after 9:30 p.m. when the voltage becomes more stable.

Expect of course if a generator is operating.

Secondly, if Charging limits can be set based on time duration. For example, 6:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. 30A and 9:45 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. 70A.

If there is any other advice, I am open to it. We are now trying to acquire an AVR. The Standby Generator is to be operated as minimally as possible.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic