question

djingis avatar image
djingis asked

Analog engine data to NMEA2000 using the Cerbo GX?

I am planning to get a lot more data to my NMEA2000 network. I have just ordered a Cerbo GX and planning to get water tank, fuel tank and septic tank data to the NMEA2000 network using the resistive tank level inputs on the Cerbo GX and the VE.Can to NMEA 2000-adapter.

My engine is a VolvoPenta MD2040 and a bit older engine without support for J1939. I am also considering several options such as EMU-1 from Actisense. But want to see if I could find a simpler solution instead.

I want to get the following data from the engine to the NMEA2000 network, hopefully using the Cerbo GX.

• Tachometer/RPM data from alternator
  • Oil pressure
  • Engine temperature

Is there any option to get engine data to the NMEA2000 network using the different tank, temperature and digital inputs on the Cerbo GX?

cerbo gxVenus GX - VGXTemperature Sensorgx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

thiis is a similar product to the EMU-1 but a lot more options and has a great setup interface.

https://octopusasia.com/shop/product-category/online-store/albatross-albacombi-analogue-converter-to-nmea200/

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

I have been looking at this myself.

You can do it with a pi or arduini, but since these won’t be n2k certified you may have less than desirable effects on the rest of the network. - this is always the problem with n2k and why ships haven’t adopted it.

Temps and pressures are fairly easy, as these are resistive values. Rev counters are somewhat more involved!

On a time basis your probobly better off buying the off the shelf products. The antisense gear is good quality and has good support. I can’t think of any way to do this exclusively with a cerbo without extra hardware.

2 |3000