question

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard asked

Problem with VE Configure & VRM configure - "Can only upload .rvsc or .rvms FILE" error

Good day to all. I am fighting since 3 days and do not understand what the problem i have can be .I use a new (but old !) laptop PC to make changes on VE Config to our system. I have downloaded all the VE config data from Victron website . I cannot change my configurations ; neither via VRM, nor with MK3 adaptor .

- When via VRM, I can access the installation, change all settings . I can download the existing settings, save them . When I want to upload the new settings , I get the error message saying : "YOU CAN UPLOAD ONLY A SINGLE .rvsc or .rvms FILE " ??

- When via hardware (MK3 ) , it never finds the port . I have the proper cables from Victron and had done it many times in the past, so quite familiar with how it should go ?

There is probably something wrong, but I can't find what .

Anybody having the great idea to help me solve this problem ?

Thanks and regards

VRMVEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Herve RV Nizard,

Regarding remote VEConfigure via VRM;

Make sure you read the instructions completely, and follow each step fully, and watch the training video here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-veconfigure#step_by_step_procedure

I am confident that should give you success.

But if not, please make a screen recording of the step that is not working and the one preceding it, and I will work with you to get it working, and then improve the clarity of the documentation.

10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard commented ·

Thanks Guy . I am quite familiar with the process ; I did it a few times on different installations both using VE Configure with MK3 and online with VRM. As mentioned , as I am a Mac user, I got an old PC Windows to do these operations . I tried again last night after having removed all the Victron apps downloaded , and reloaded them again .

1- When using MK3 , the operation stops when trying to auto detect a port ; the system does NOT detect any port ,

2- When trying online with VRM , I can see the screens, edit them as I wish . When reaching to the end, I want to "upload" the modified settings, and I get the error message "you can upload only a single .rvsc or .rvsm file ! (see attached)

Notes : In the past, I sometimes had port detection problems when using a RJ45 cable which was not a Victron one ; This time all has been done with the proper Victron cable .

The Veconfigure downloaded version on the PC computer is the latest one .

Appreciate your assistance . Let me know if you need additional information .

regards

lemongrass-vrm-error-1.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·

@Guy. If it can help , please find video of mk3 and vrm tries.

...... i just realize I can't upload a video here !!

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Herve RV Nizard commented ·

Upload the video to youtube (or dropbox) and share that link here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Herve RV Nizard commented ·

If you use VRM you should not open the downloaded file directly. Save the file on your computer first and then open it with VE.config, make your changes, close VE.config and click 'yes'.

Your changes are saved in the same file you downloaded. Then you can upload that file to VRM.

0 Likes 0 ·
Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

@Matthias. I sincerely wish to thank you. The sequence you suggested with VRM worked. I was able to change and upload the settings. Thanks a million. All the best.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Herve RV Nizard commented ·

Thank you both @Herve RV Nizard and @Matthias Lange - DE,

I have just updated the step by step procedure to emphasise that the file must be downloaded first, and not opened from within the browser.

0 Likes 0 ·
Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Great. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Good day @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) and merry christmas. I am really facing issues with VeConfigure , and this from 2 different computers , and 3 different systems !! The current discussion for my own system, and thanks to the VRM details, I was able to connect , change the settings, and upload them. This week, I had to visit 2 different customers , and wanted to change the settings on both . I could access none . I tried with 3 different RJ45 Victron cable, and used 3 different MK3/USB connectors ! Never managed to connect to veConfigure . When at a customer, as you can imagine, it's quite embarassing . Could you help me understand what can go wrong, or what should I do differently , so it does not happen again ? I did it many times in the past, and now I am facing difficulties each time !

This is what I do:

- Connect a RJ45 Victron blue cable in one of the VeBus ports of a Multi or Quattro

- Connect the other side in the MK3/USB

-Connect the USB end of the MK3/USB to a USB port of a PC laptop

- Disconnect the CCGX

- Open veConfigure on the computer

- Auto detect ports

It looks for ports (with the dots adding one after the other) , and does NOT detect any port !

Or, this week, on a quattro .

It detects the port , get the message "MK3 detected...) , but the usual VeConfigure page does Not open ; Nothing happens ...

I thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Herve RV Nizard commented ·

That sounds like a different issue, please create a new question.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

1607143905302.png (64.6 KiB)
8 comments
2 |3000

Not very clear ; The instruction says that there is no need for that if the computer is connected to the internet ; and it is . Plus unless I am mistaken, the USB/MK3 driver is part of the VeConfigure3 downloads , isn't it ? Or should I download an additional specific driver ? Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Even with an internet connection it is sometimes needed to install the driver manually.

What Windows version do you have?

0 Likes 0 ·

I did install manually as well this morning. I will check the windows version. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Run VE.config -> Special -> USB drivers -> Yes -> select a location (I recommend the desktop) -> Windows + R -> enter "devmgmt.msc" (without " ") -> OK -> this should open the device manager -> at the top should be a device with a yellow triangle -> right click -> "update driver" -> "search driver on this PC" -> select the location from the beginning (desktop) -> this should install the driver

Sometimes a new device with a yellow triangle appears after that so you have to repeat the last few steps.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Matthias Lange. Might need your help. Now got a replacement PC laptop for these tasks. Did all the abive sequence you had suggested. But when reaching to the stage "devmngt..." it opens the device manager but none do have the yellow triangle ? Best proposed choice by windows seem to be "generic USB Hub"

Any suggestion on how to reach to this yellow triangle ??

Thanks .

0 Likes 0 ·

@Herve RV Nizard

If there is no yellow triangle windows maybe have already installed the correct driver. Did you tried to connect to your device?

0 Likes 0 ·

Right. It worked . Thanks .

0 Likes 0 ·

@Paul B. Thanks . I wanted to try all options offered , so I went back on your advice . I downloaded via VeConfig3 and it's now on the computer ; But still no change !

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·
Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard answered ·

@Paul B @Matthias. I went back on site today and followed your detailed instructions. The magic yellow triangle (!) made all the difference and it worked perfectly. Sinceres thanks. You saved my day. All the best.

2 |3000