question

dannypm avatar image
dannypm asked

MultiPlus AC-Out-2 doesn't disconnect on Inverter mode/mains failure

When there's Mains failure and the Multiplus is running on battery (Inverter mode) the AC-Out-2 doesn't disconnect the load. The manual says otherwise.

How can I resolve this issue?

MultiPlus 24/3000/70-50

FW ver. 422

ac out 2
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vteccured avatar image vteccured commented ·

Hello all,

I just finished installing my Multiplus , as well, while inverting without any mains attached. I have power on my AC-2 output.

I had rewired the panel to separate the power hungry items that only want when there are MAINS.

but noticed when i first turned on the multiplus. AC-1 and AC-2 will have 120vac.

i also thought it could have been looped somewhere in the circuitry. But i have turned off all the breakers and still getting power on my AC-2.

Thank you in advance,

John A

1 Like 1 ·
5 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Normally AC2 out only supply's power if there as input on AC1 IN.

usually there are only two reasons that it stays closed when there is NO power on ac1 IN.

1. a Assistant has been install and setup to do this

2. the relay has welded closed and is now faulty,

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dannypm avatar image
dannypm answered ·

@Paul B, no assistant had been configured. Only VS set to ignore AC-In but I've just disabled it.

All I wanted my Multi to do is provide electricity in case of mains outage and immediately disconnect non-essential loads on AC-Out-2.

4 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

So did that Solve the AC out 2 problem staying on, Why did you have Ignor AC-in as that would mean that the mains would not connect. Have you got a VRM connection

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

ALso how have you got the multi wired into your systems, could you please supply a diagram. ALSO just out of interest if you take the wires OFF the AC2 out and thus its not connected AT all. do you still have power on the Connections, check both the Multi and the wires, as there could be a wiring loop and you have power on your loads from another internal connection in the house. worth a check

0 Likes 0 ·
dannypm avatar image dannypm Paul B commented ·

Disabling the VS didn't resolve the issue and I can still connect to Multi on VRM.

I've a simple Hub-1 System with the Multi connected to mains and feeding essential AC-1 and non-essential AC-2 loads. I've got a 500Ah battery bank (24VDC system - 2 series parallel). The Multi is connected to the internet through a CCGX.

I'm yet to disconnect the wires on AC-2 to check potential loop.

0 Likes 0 ·
vteccured avatar image vteccured dannypm commented ·

I'm in the same situation.. I have turned off all the breakers and measured voltage at the intverter amd it still read 120vac.

Did this happened to a running system or is it a new install?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alistair Warburton avatar image
Alistair Warburton answered ·

Just a thought...
Has the switch for AC-2 got snubber networks on it?
Is it switching L&N or just L?

What I am getting at is that a snubber could easily pass enough current to show a voltage aproaching 'normal' with no load.

Considder...
If you have a loop somwhere that is responcibe for your loads staying on then opening all the breakers isolates the output swtch which could then read a voltage throught the snubbers, leading to a mis diagnosis!

Try switching off individual breakers, so that there is alwys a load, and see if that shows up a potential loop.

Please dont think I am saying that you are mistaken, my point is that voltage isnt necessarrally an indication of potential current on an output that is switched off because switched off is not necessarally isolated... although it may be.

I am not an experat on the speciffics of Vctron kit but I plan to use AC-2, with an assistant, to control a water heater that will use exess solar.
I will be watching your thread/progress with inteest lest I suffer the same fate!

Hope you find the issue,
Al.

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @DannyPM

Please update the firmware to latest first and then see if things work as expected.

1 comment
2 |3000

dannypm avatar image dannypm commented ·

Can I jump directly from fw 422 to fw 476?

Are there precautions to be taken for such jump in fw upgrade?

0 Likes 0 ·
dannypm avatar image
dannypm answered ·

I've just resolved the issue thanks for your contribution here.

There were 2 problems at play:

a) I've identified a loop in the system which was feeding AC-Out-2. However, even after separating the circuits and then switching OFF the AC-Out-2 breaker I could still read 230VAC on the Multi AC-Out-2 regardless of the AC IN voltage presence or not. This finding led to follow the other recommendation.

b) Upgrade the firmware from ver. 422 to ver. 476. The fw upgrade ultimately resolved the problem.

Thank you all.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic