question

dunnp avatar image
dunnp asked

How can I hide the 'Tank' column in VRM overview, and select which tank is shown?

On the VRM 'My Installations' overview page, there is a column called 'Tank' which makes no sense to me.

vrm-tank-level-question.png

This installation ('Caravan') has 3 tanks and in this case the value listed happens to be for Tank 3. For another system ('Test system'), I only have one tank input enabled and it lists that tank (logical).

My question is why VRM picks one of tanks (seemingly at random) without any input on the user's part? Is there some hidden algorithm to choose which one to display? Regardless, it's vague and confusing - and in my use case, that column is of no value.

A way to hide it - or better still, choose what it means would be a nice improvement.

Cheers.

Phil

VRMtank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @dunnp,

It is possible to hide that column like this:

cleanshot-2020-11-14-at-144454.jpg

As for which is shown, I will find out how it is currently operating, and see if we can document it for consistency.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dunnp avatar image
dunnp answered ·

Thanks for pointing that out Guy. I hadn't noticed the Preferences icon in the Installation view before. Most of the time I look at VRM on my iPhone - and that icon is not there on my screen. It's only visible when I use an iPad or laptop. That's my feeble excuse!!

As always, you chaps at Victron are right on the ball!!

Thanks again.

Phil.

PS - I'm still curious about how a tank is chosen for the table. Cheeky suggestion: If I had the option to sum tanks 1 and 2 (my fresh water tanks), that column would be handy.

2 |3000

machined avatar image
machined answered ·

In the system settings, do you have "Has DC System" checked? In the Tank 3 settings, do you have the fluid type labeled as fresh water? I have two tank inputs, one for fresh water (tank 1) and one for grey water (tank 2). In my dashboard its showing me Tank 1 in that column you show and its also listing the fresh water and grey water when you click in to the page. Maybe double check those and see if that helps at all.

2 |3000

dunnp avatar image
dunnp answered ·

Hi machined

Yes ‘has DC system’ checked.

I have 3 tanks - 1 & 2 are Fresh and 3 is Waste ( grey).

Guy told how to get rid of the column (which interestingly doesn’t appear on an iPhone screen), but I’m still puzzled about which tank gets selected and why. To me it would be useful info if I could choose what gets displayed - especially if I could display the sum of tanks 1 & 2 which is my total fresh water remaining. The way it is, it’s unclear what you are looking at.

Cheers

2 |3000