question

ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman asked

DVCC Firmware insufficient warning on System overview

This error keeps showing up and then clearing, it has done so at least 10 times in the last couple weeks. All firmware is up to date according to VRM online checking.

Cerbo GX

3 Quattros

BMV 712

3 BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/85

2 Skylla-IP44 24V/30A (currently turned off)

It's getting pretty annoying to get an email every time this happens and then clears, I have looked through every post concerning this and see no solutions, anybody have an answer to this?

Thanks, Ron

cerbo gxDVCC
12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

irwinr avatar image irwinr commented ·

I just started having the same issue today with two Quattro's configured in split phase 120/240. I have not made any recent firmware changes to my Quattro's

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 irwinr commented ·

But have you updated the firmware on GX or other devices?

0 Likes 0 ·
irwinr avatar image irwinr seb71 commented ·

No. The system has been running for many months with no issue. Then today I start seeing this Alarm, which then clears itself. Obviously if there was a *actual* firmware version problem the alarm wouldn't clear itself.

0 Likes 0 ·

Check if your GX device is configured to auto-update the firmware. Yesterday Victron released 2.62 version.

0 Likes 0 ·
irwinr avatar image irwinr seb71 commented ·

Ok, yes the CCGX does look like it auto-updated to 2.62

That still doesn't explain the issue: "DVCC Firmware" generally refers to the firmware on the Quattro's. And The alarm is that it's "insufficient", yet all my DVCC services are still working fine. I'm just now getting these annoying alarm emails, followed immediately by the "Recovery" emails telling me the alarm has cleared.

0 Likes 0 ·

Then either 2.62 firmware from GX device requires newer firmware from other devices connected to it.

OR

It's a bug in 2.62.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ irwinr commented ·

Try to go back to the previous FW version and disable auto-update.

OR

Update the FW of your Quattro.

0 Likes 0 ·
irwinr avatar image irwinr Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

is it Victron's official position that we should have to routinely upgrade the firmware on our Quattro's?

Upgrading the Quattro firmware is not an simple task after everything is set up in an installation...

And again: if the firware on my Quattro is not sufficient, why is DVCC still working and also why does the Alarm clear itself?

0 Likes 0 ·

You don't have to update to every new FW for your Quattro same as you don't have to update your GX device.

But if you (accidentally) update one of them you maybe also have to update all other devices.

Because of that you should always disable auto-update.

0 Likes 0 ·
irwinr avatar image irwinr Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
"But if you (accidentally) update one of them you maybe also have to update all other devices.
Because of that you should always disable auto-update."

Can you point me to any official Victron docs that state this? Why does the GX default to Auto update on if it should NOT be used? Why does it even offer auto-update if it should not be used?

Also: What is the new minimum required firmware for DVCC? All the docs I can find still say 422.

If new firmware is really required for my Quattro's: Where can I download it? I've been told multiple times that the Quattro firmware is not meant to be updated in the field and that I need to be given special permission to download it. Which again makes me question why an auto-update to the GX would force everyone to need to update their Quattro's.

0 Likes 0 ·

I don't remember if my Cerbo GX came with "auto-update" as default, but you are supposed to configure properly (and in the way you want them to behave) all devices from a system.

The firmware can be downloaded from here (you need to make a free account).

VictronConnect can also be used to update the firmware.

0 Likes 0 ·

There is no official statement is is our experience over many years.
(never change a running system)

If everything is running fine there is no reason to install updates unless the update brings you features you need.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/updating_firmware:updating_ve.bus_products

I'm not entirely sure, is auto-update the default setting. I will check this tomorrow.

But as seb71 wrote earlier it can also be a bug in Venus OS v2.62.
So the easiest thing would be to just go back to the previous version.
(it is backed up inside the GX device)

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Elimac avatar image
Elimac answered ·

Did you update any device firmware recently?

Check this link:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#gx_error_48_-_dvcc_with_incompatible_firmware

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Ur12VMan

VRM doesn't do VE.Bus (Quattro) firmware updates, but in Device List it will tell you what you have. The email message will be being passed through from the Cerbo.

You either turn off DVCC or grab a MK3 dongle and update your Quattros. The minimum listed for the Cerbo's DVCC is 422, but the latest would be probably a wise step.

You may have some other issue, but you need to check this first.

2 |3000

ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman answered ·

Thanks for the input John

The quattros have FW 469 and were updated once since new. The only thing changed recently (6 months ago) was swapping the CCGX for the Cerbo. This started around then and was intermittent, but rare, now it's doing it daily, the only device that is set to auto update is the Cerbo, everything else has to be done manually and according to the list on VRM everything is up to date and the DVCC manual shows that I have compatible FW on the devices except the Solar Chargers. I like having DVCC on because of the Victron LiFePo4 battery bank. The thing I don't understand is that it comes and goes, if it is such a problem the alert should stay on, but it keeps clearing itself until the next time. It would be nice if the alert actually pointed to the problem, rather than just showing an error. That is a poor design on the software end.

2 |3000

Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc answered ·

Hi,

Just to add to this Thread. Recently (Feb21') had an autoupdate to V2.62 of the CCGX on an installation. Prior to this upgrade everything was working with no alarm. CCGX was at version V2.60. As soon it rebooted we got the same permanent alarm. You clear it and it reappear very soon.

So either willingly or unwillingly V2.62 as tighter requirements for firmware compatibility. Currently system has:

- CCGX V2.62

- LynxIon 1000A BMS V1.24

- 150/85 Rev2 Smart Solar V1.54

- Skylla-i/100A (1+1) V2.06

- VeBus(Phoenix - 3p) V459

Will downgrade for time being but would like to have feedback on which of the hardware is causing error.

2 |3000

oxy avatar image
oxy answered ·

Hi everyone,

Would anyone know how to get rid of the DVCC #48 firmware warning when there's an old MultiPlus in the system (which has no FW updates)?

screenshot-2024-03-30-at-181335.pngThe warning is not shown in GX anymore (strangely), but reappears in VRM even after clearing:

screenshot-2024-03-30-at-181436.png

I need to use DVCC SVS (Shared Voltage Sense), because one of the SmartSollar MPPT charge controllers started having the infamous voltage drift problem...

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/98080/incorrect-dc-voltage-reading-on-solar-charger-mppt.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/252020/10050-mppt-showing-incorrect-battery-voltage-1.html?childToView=273316#answer-273316

2 |3000