question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

Is there a list of suported "Two wire BMSs"

Recently I was told here, that my 123SmartBMS Gen3, that I payed over 600 Euros for, is not supported by Victron.

My problem with the Multi turning itself OFF for no apparent reason is not related to this BMS but it looks like I will not get help with this problem because I have "unsupported" BMS.

My question posted here, was moved to "Modifications Space" because my BMS is unsupported.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/66536/system-turns-off-without-apparent-reason.html

Is there a list of supported BMS-es that use "Two wire BMS" assistant?

BMSAssistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

The list of battery BMS that have been tested by Victron, known to work, and documented is located here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

Or found more quickly by googling 'victron battery compatibility'.

As noted at the bottom of that list of supported BMS systems, it is possible to get other systems working, but you will need to talk to the supplier of those systems to get documentation that describes a working configuration with Victron.

The more components you assemble yourself from different suppliers, the more difficult it will be to get support for the final configuration. As it can be difficult for any one of them to know that it has been correctly installed and configured. Or even if it is possible to install and configure it without issues.

IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED TO USE A KNOWN WORKING CONFIGURATION, installed by an experienced installer with a long track record of reliable working systems. DIY can be fun and very rewarding, but also very tedious and troublesome.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

I am not asking for the list of compatible batteries.

I am asking for the list of supported BMS-es.

In the link you provided there is none.

But you know that my problem is unrelated to BMS, whether supported or not.

It is related to the "Two wire BMS" assistant.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ marekp commented ·

I am sure that 123 Electric will claim their products are compatible with Victron, there does seem to be a fair chunk of user input/fudge factor.

Not my cup of tea. I expect KISS, simply because I will have to intervene in fault finding eventually...

0 Likes 0 ·

"IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED TO USE A KNOWN WORKING CONFIGURATION, installed by an experienced installer with a long track record of reliable working systems. "

Only if this experienced installer bothered to return my calls.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

In my opinion a 2-signal-BMS don't need special support.
The BMS needs 2 dry-contacts, one for "cell high" and one for "cell low" (you need 4 wires).
You wire them to AUX 1 (or T-sense) and AUX 2 , setup the assistant (which input is which signal) and done.

1 comment
2 |3000

It should be that easy, and as long as the BMS has those two dry contacts to communicate with the Multi, there should not be the "supported" or "not supported" distinction.

Problem starts when you program 3-phase system.

Manual suggests to "take extra care" when programming 3-phase system, but does not tell you where, during the programing, you have to be "extra careful".

0 Likes 0 ·