question

sandrogiava avatar image
sandrogiava asked

Buck-Boost DC/DC converter vs Orion-Tr Smart 12/12

Hello everyone,
I tried to get an answer looking at previous posts, but I still don't understand which is the difference between them:
let's say we have a vehicle with a smart alternator, a 12v starter battery and a 12v leisure battery (agm or lithium)...
which one is better to use to charge the leisure battery? Why? what're the pros and cons of each one?
Thanks.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
rodneyab avatar image
rodneyab answered ·

I can not fill you in on which is best, or, all pros and cons. I can say the OrionTrSmart is less expensive than the Buck-Boost options, and it works well in the application when I want it to.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sandrogiava avatar image sandrogiava commented ·
That's the point: the buck-boost dc/dc costs double the price of Orion (25/30amps)... why?

0 Likes 0 ·
ecowhale avatar image ecowhale sandrogiava commented ·

Buck Boosts seem to have more robust hardware / case, but the Orion has more advanced BT, so should be price wash-out. It's a mystery to me too.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @sandrogiava,

They are very similar, and in some case either could be used without consequences.

The main difference is in the flexibility.

Buck Boost

There are 3 products in the Buck Boost range, distinguished by their output current rating - 25A, 50A and 100A.

It is possible to use the same buck boost product to charge a 12V battery from a 12V alternator, 24V battery from a 12V alternator, a 12V battery from a 24V alternator, or 24V battery from a 24 V alternator.

Orion TR Smart

These products are much more specifically tailored for their application. There are 12 products to cover the same range!

And you must pick the right one, depending on the battery voltage and alternator/supply voltage that you have.

A big PLUS to the Orion range is that it is compatible with VictronConnect (buck boost is not), so programming, commissioning and monitoring are much simpler (though not as flexible).

2 comments
2 |3000

sandrogiava avatar image sandrogiava commented ·

"... flexibility.": that's a good point;

I was missing it looking too specifically at my application. Thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·
amidships avatar image amidships commented ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Can the Orion TR handle dynamos powered by the on-board electronics of Euro 5 and 6 engines as well?

I.e. https://as-pl.com/en/p/A0516PR

0 Likes 0 ·
safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

@sandrogiava We use the buck boost 100A (1600W) for high capacity Alternators (>180A max capacity) and Lithium batteries. We use Orion Smarts in most other applications and definitely with AGM batteries...

2 |3000