question

vctr avatar image
vctr asked

Orion-TR smart - to use ferrules for 16mm wire or not?

Hi.

I'm wondering if it is better to use ferrules for the wire or not (16mm/6awg, silicon cable, Cu/tinned)?

By all logic, it seems like it would be better, but is there any recommendations about it?

Will it fit? Can't try it, didn't buy ferrules yet.

orion-tr smartwiringinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It depends on the screw type;

I prefer to use ferrules with screw or push connectors to prevent the strands from splaying out or where the screw its self would dig in and twist the wires up as it tightens, hardening and embrittling the copper strands as it goes.

I don't like using ferrules on the rising clamp terminals because these type of terminals don't screw into the strands and the contact surface area is maximised when the strands spread out as the clamp compresses the strands all at once.

A ferrule, depending upon the shape of the crimping die would result in a round or hexagonal shape in a square hole, minimising contact surface area, similar to a solid round conductor in the square hole. Some ferrule crimping dies yield a square profile, which would be better, but the rising clamp terminals are designed to maximise the contact area of multi stranded wires without ferrules.

You do need to pay attention that there are no stray strands, but you can get stray stands when a ferrule is incorrectly mounted too, so there you go.

Orion-Tr Smart has rising clamp terminals.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vctr avatar image vctr commented ·

Thanks! Yes, those terminals look really good actually, didn't check it before.

0 Likes 0 ·
christopher-topilko avatar image
christopher-topilko answered ·

what about letting the Orion do the crimping? I've done a few like that.

2 comments
2 |3000

Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain commented ·

Because this may (tbc) be the end result of that approach...

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/240749/smoking-dc-dc-melted-wires.html

3 Likes 3 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Absolutely do not do this. Full stop. No.

That isn't a proper crimp, and poses a substantial danger up to and including damage to or loss of property or life.

I am inclined to delete this suggestion entirely except that it serves as a valuable warning to others who might have the same idea.

2 Likes 2 ·