question

heikoffm avatar image
heikoffm asked

Daily load output outage after update of SmartSolar 100/20 to firmware v1.53

After updating the firmware of my SmartSolar MPPT 100|20 (0xA05F) from v1.50 to v1.53 I have the following issue with the solar charge controller: every 24 hours at around 17:30 the load output automatically turns off for a short moment, leading to a sudden power outage for my off-grid system's loads (LTE router etc).

I don't know if the charge controller just performs a restart, or if only the load output is toggled. This never happened with former firmware versions.

Other than the firmware update nothing was changed on the setup at that time. BTW, the update was performed on 25.10.2020 at 15:47, and on the very same day at 17:35 the first load output outage happened. And from then on every 24 hours, every day.

There are no loads with high inrush current connected, the actual load is well below 1A at that time, no load is switch.

And it seems that I'm not the only one with this issue (see another Google Play review on 28.10.2020).

Thanks
Heiko

MPPT Controllersfirmware updatesoftware
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @HeikoFFM

Thank you for your reporting, we've replicated this issue and are working on a solution.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tomvacek avatar image tomvacek commented ·

Yes, I am having a similar issue! My MPPT turns load off briefly every day in the evening and then turns off briefly again in the morning. I notice it because our appliances are programmed to turn "on" after a power reset and I find them turned on every morning and every evening.

Furthermore, the MPPT in lower-voltage scenarios around 11.5V (but above the minimum voltage set at 11.1V) suddenly starts turning load on and off repeatedly every few seconds. I posted that separately here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/65832/mppt-10020-turning-load-onoff-every-second.html

0 Likes 0 ·
Meine_Energiewende avatar image Meine_Energiewende commented ·

Hmmm .... since 1.53 my 150/35 is not working probably anymore. PV Power drops to nearly zero. (see screenshot). Updated to 1.54 yesterday. Problem persists. Where can i find the old 1.50 firmware (looked in victron professional already).

Thx

Jens

mppt-150-35.png

0 Likes 0 ·
mppt-150-35.png (31.5 KiB)
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @HeikoFFM and @tomvacek

there is now a fix for this issue in firmware 1.54

you can update through VRM or use VictronConnect beta:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta#v535beta2

4 comments
2 |3000

tomvacek avatar image tomvacek commented ·

Thank you very much for your help on this issue. I downloaded the Mac version but it says the app is from unknown developer so it won't let me proceed to install the updated app.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ tomvacek commented ·

Hi @tomvacek

That's because apple takes a while to approve the new version, please wait for that or update through VRM

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-firmware-update

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@tomvacek,

if you trust Victron, then there is a way to open the new app anyway.

Here you can read how it'd done: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh40616/mac

0 Likes 0 ·
heikoffm avatar image heikoffm commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff),

I can confirm that the daily outages are gone after installing firmware v1.54. Thanks for the swift fix.

0 Likes 0 ·
tkmbe avatar image
tkmbe answered ·

Same issue here but not 24h mine resgtarted 19:25 and 05:20

I only wanted read my battery settings from the 100/15 and I had to upgrade to V 1.53.

PLEASE don't force the user to upgrade. It's really a stupid microsoft technique!!!

Why a user must upgrade to read his parameters.

Not even downgrade possibility. I have a tower with communication which cuts off now every X hours. That's very bad!!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual