question

midsummerenergy avatar image
midsummerenergy asked

Will the Fuse LEDs on Lynx Distributor illuminate without the 4-pin cable supplied with unit?

Trying to use the Lynx Distributor (and Power In) without the Lynx Ion Shunt or BMS (using BYD batteries). I had assumed the Fuse LEDs would illuminate with a working fuse in place and powered, however a line on the old Victron Live page for DC Distribution Systems suggests that this small data cable is used to power the LEDs (rather than taking power from the busbar itself). I cannot get the LEDs to illuminate - are the LEDs useless unless using the Lynx Shunt? Because Lynx Shunt uses CANbus, it cannot be used in conjunction with BYD on a CCGX (though I think VGX would support it).

CCGX Color Controlfuseslynx shuntdc systemled
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpidea avatar image sharpidea commented ·

12 volt to 5 Volt regulator - small and inexpensive on Amazon, used with the 4 pin short RJ11 cable supplied with the distributor: use pin out in below response for connections

DC 12v 24v to 5v Step Down Converter Regulator 5A 25W Power Adapter

-1 Like -1 ·
9 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi; indeed: it needs the RJ11 cable. There is no wide input (8 to 70VDC) power supply inside the Lynx Distributor

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

midsummerenergy avatar image midsummerenergy commented ·

Thanks Matthijs, bit of a shame. What voltage does the LED control board require?

1 Like 1 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ midsummerenergy commented ·

5V (4,5V-5,5V).

RJ11 connector:

Pin 1 is 5V

Pin 4 is gnd

1 Like 1 ·
1548849235060.png (39.8 KiB)
nkorber avatar image nkorber commented ·

Hello,

as far as I can see on my own distributor (2019), the connector is of type RJ9 (aka 4p4c) and not RJ11 (aka 6p4c). The pin numbers remain valid.

When all is OK, only the central led is green ; when a fuse has blown (or is missing) the central and circuit's leds are red.

0 Likes 0 ·
sharpidea avatar image
sharpidea answered ·

Just finished making this work, I cut the RJ11 cable in half and striped the shield back to get at the yellow, black wires in side, the positive 5 volt goes to the yellow wire and the negative goes to black, I used the DC step down converter regulator in the above post from amazon, it fits inside the case of the distributor on the right side so is now a part of the distributor and works great!

2 |3000

Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

I have a related post under Lynx Shunt no LEDs.

Q1. Which of the two (2) RJ11 ports on the Lynx Shunt should this cable be plugged into?

Q2. Should there be any voltage on any of the other pins (other than Pin 1? (as above)

1 comment
2 |3000

Sarah avatar image Sarah commented ·

1) Either of the left or right RJ11 ports (or both if you have two distributors) can be used depending on what side the distributor is going to be plugged into.
2) the cable is also used to communicate the status of the fuses on the distributor to the Lynx Smart BMS - if used - so I would not be surprised to find a return signal on the other lines.
For more details refer to the following documents https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Lynx_Shunt_VE.Can/en/index-en.html

0 Likes 0 ·
jdubbayew avatar image
jdubbayew answered ·

I have a Cerbogx with extra usb ports, wonder if I can power the LED board on my lynx distributor with an RJ11 to usb cable...

3 comments
2 |3000

jdubbayew avatar image jdubbayew commented ·

@midsummerenergy @mvader (Victron Energy) Confirming that I was successful in powering the Lynx distributor LEDs using the Cerbo GX.

The CerboGX has one USB port that cannot transit data (closest to HDMI port). I built a USB adapter using the supplied cable that came in the distributor box and spare usb A cable.

USB red to Victron (RJ9) yellow

USB Black to Victron (RJ9) Black

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ jdubbayew commented ·

Nice work.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ jdubbayew commented ·

Real nice!

0 Likes 0 ·
pts08 avatar image
pts08 answered ·

Is a RJ11 or RJ9 on the Lynx Distributor ?

3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

The answer to, your question is already here in this thread multiple times.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark commented ·

It’s a Rj10 connector! in the UK!

0 Likes 0 ·
adahmen avatar image adahmen Mark commented ·
Short question:

Do I need to disconnect the Lynx from power before connecting the power cable to the Cerbo? Or can I just insert the cable when all is up and running?

0 Likes 0 ·
teddysx3 avatar image
teddysx3 answered ·

Hello everyone, I have done this mod, 5v buck converter. 2 funny things happen.

1) The lights light up red when I ONLY connect the positive wire from the 5v converter, very strange, somehow it doesn't need a ground source.

2) When connected correctly, and when I insert a fuse, they light does not go green! What can be the reason? I'm using genie victron mega fuses.

Thanks!

2 |3000

rikhf avatar image
rikhf answered ·

Hi all, I have 2 distributors on 1 side of the Lynx Shunt. ! is connected straight to the shunt and one is one and a half meter further. I connected the Distributor which is connected to the shunt with the RJ11 cable that came in the box and all is well. Then I extended the cable that came with the other Distributor but all fuse led's turn red and the middle one yellow. The manual doesn't say what this means. I have tested the cable. All threads are well and there are no shorts. Why do I get this behavior?

20220811-185828.jpg

On the left is the extended cable to the second Distributor.

20220811-185837.jpg

And here is the one with the weird behavior.

Can anyone explain this or have some advice what I should try?

Rik

20220811-185828.jpg (215.3 KiB)
20220811-185837.jpg (265.9 KiB)
2 |3000

marconi avatar image
marconi answered ·

Wouldn´t it be ideal and easier just to connect the LYNX/RJ11 pin 1 to +5VDC of a USB plug connected to cerbo to avoid grd-hum effects, as GRD is omnipresent anyway - what´d you say dear colleagues?
Still a bit strange (not to say silly) not having 5VDC inside the Lynx realized with some sort of LM7805 an electrolyt 100µF and 0,1µF parallel... reminds me a bit of the 48VDC Cerbo issue. I wonder who is designing Victron´s circuits on Eagle and who is controlling them afterwards, before they get produced, to avoid such strange results and problems?

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
That's basically what I did. Found an old unused USB cord and lopped the end of, wired to the rj11 plug, and plugged the USB end right into the USB hub I have connected to the cerbo .
0 Likes 0 ·
karavanlife avatar image
karavanlife answered ·

Hi. Does it do the same job in the product I shared the link of?

https://www.direnc.net/lm2596-dc-dc-voltaj-dusurucu-power-modul

2 |3000

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic