question

jsmith1985 avatar image
jsmith1985 asked

Orion Tr Smart Isolated 12|12|30 2019 Sprinter Install

Hi @Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA, wondering if you have any experience in installing the Orion Tr Smart Isolated 12|12|30 in a 2019 Sprinter? From reading the manual it seems very plug and play but I don't know what I don't know. My question is it as simple as connecting the Negative and Positive to the starter battery terminals directly? Does this interfere with any of the factory computers since the onboard computers don't talk to the Victron and produce error codes?

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mike-g avatar image
mike-g answered ·

It's pretty simple. Connect the leads. Select the battery type. It has a run detection algorithm but I wired mine to the ignition switch to control charging.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @jsmith1985,

Unfortunately we do not perform installations, nor do we support vehicle electrical systems, so I can't say with assurance how your onboard electrical system will deal with things - for advice specifically regarding your vehicle electrical system, I suggest that you reach out to a local van upfitter and/or the vehicle manufacturer.

All that being said, I can definitely confirm that on the face of it, installation is quite simple, as the manual suggests. POS and NEG (with POS appropriately fused at the source battery, of course) from the source battery to the input terminals, POS and NEG from the output terminals to the target battery (with the POS appropriately fused at the target battery). Honestly couldn't get a whole lot simpler on the component side.

The vehicle electrical side, however, may or may not require other steps being taken (like veifying that your alternator can handle an additional ~40A of draw from the start battery without overheating, etc., and that's where reaching out to the vehicle manufacturer or a local upfitter/installer would potentially be a good idea for you.

2 |3000