question

bathnm avatar image
bathnm asked

Cerbo GX FW 2.60 and GX 4G Connection Issue

Hi All,

I installed a GX LTE 4G today and found that an icon was trying to display on the top right by the clock, and that the system was reporting internet Offline, when the system was clearly online and communicating with VRM. See screen shots

I also logged in via ssh and found that the ppp0 interface had received an IP address and was able to do DNS lookups and ping.

I wasn't able to do any further investigation. Since I have got home what I have noticed is that the location symbol moves one to the right and back again.

Venus OS4ggsm
1602958043051.png (120.0 KiB)
1602958090220.jpeg (90.3 KiB)
1602958105825.jpeg (69.3 KiB)
1602958385186.png (154.6 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kieran Kennedy avatar image Kieran Kennedy commented ·

@Bathnm

I seen your post about GSM modem not showing online. I have the exact same problem and was wondering if you.could let me know how you resolved this ? I am new to this forum and posted a question a couple of days ago however I have had no response. I would be very grateful if you could help me please ?

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm Kieran Kennedy commented ·

It is fixed in the latest beta code, actually is was fixed in a very early beta of the next release. If it is a major issue then you could consider loading the latest beta onto your device.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi! Perhaps its using the wifi or ethernet link? In that case the modem isnt used.

Looks like the text shown can be improved a bit to explain that.

I’ll make a note of that, also for the moving symbol. Thanks!

10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·

Nope no Ethernet or WI-FI connected, just the GX 4G LTE

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ bathnm commented ·

ok, is it ok if myself or a colleague logs in to your device to see what the issue is? I see Remote Support is enabled.

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy), Sure I have no problems with that. I am remote so can't get at the routing table or wider ifconfig to show the exact configuration there. The attached screen shots are the GUI view of the Ethernet and WiFI.

0 Likes 0 ·
1603177570966.png (79.0 KiB)
1603177598847.png (90.7 KiB)

@mvader (Victron Energy), Good evening.

Not sure if your guys have had a chance to log in and look. I opened the laptop tonight and still had my shell session and history. This is what the ifconfig and routing table had. It is clearly going out over the mobile connection!

When I am back on the boat at the weekend is there any data you might benefit from me capturing?

0 Likes 0 ·
1603299145501.png (842.8 KiB)
1603299166808.png (92.3 KiB)
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ bathnm commented ·

Hi, we logged in and checked, functionally all works well; but the status indication does not.

We’ll test with a UK vodafone simcard to see whats going on; was ordered today.

thanks! I’ll let you know what comes out.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps. Good evening to you too! ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·

If you need me to test any fix or provide further information then please do let me know. As a linux/network guy with some software development a long time ago I did have a snoop around the dbus-modem code and couldn't see anything that seems to suggest anything was out of place.

0 Likes 0 ·

@mvader (Victron Energy), I saw that version 0.10 of the bus-modem scripts had been pushed into git. I have put it onto my Cerbo and all fixed.

Just thought you might like to know. Many thanks for the speedy fix.

0 Likes 0 ·
1604005266530.png (106.4 KiB)

Hey @Bathnm, thats great! I saw the message but didn’t read it at the time.

By now the fix is also included in v2.62~2. ~3 expected tomorrow if all goes well.

Welcome wrt the quick fix!

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy), Will start testing again, once I have my batteries back up and running. System is off as no renewables to keep it running.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Gee those ping times to bbc.co.uk are long for a UK 4G connection. Usually when we see abnormally long ping times something is not right with the routing.

1 comment
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·

Not sure it has anything to do with the problem. Just done 3 pings of bbc.co.uk from home using Broadband and two different mobile providers (both 4G). Results on 4G at home are worse. It depends on how busy the cell is!

I had my shell still open from when on-board and just scrolled back through. The routing on the Cerbo is fine.

0 Likes 0 ·
1603298584264.png (836.6 KiB)
1603298805265.png (124.9 KiB)
Stéphane POLLAK - Formateur / Consultant / Ancien installateur avatar image
Stéphane POLLAK - Formateur / Consultant / Ancien installateur answered ·
Hello,

I have the same problem in France with an Orange Sim card

When the card is installed in a GX GSM, the device is online.
When the same card is installed in a GX LTEG-E, the device communicates with the VRM portal but it is offline

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic