question

Wes Humpage avatar image
Wes Humpage asked

Cerbo Software Enhancements - To allow additional sensors

Hi,

I have a cerbo GX connected to a smaller test system which is working well. I have a couple if small issues relating to the cerbo firmware /. software limits

1) When setting up a tank level with the first analogue. I have setup a custom sensor (Im actually using a 5 PSI pressure sensor, it works well). I have set the resistance when empty to 56Ohms and I have set the resistance when full to 264Ohms. But I need it to go to 320Ohms for the sensor to go full scale.

Are you able to update the higher limit value to 340 Ohms? or 350 Ohms?

Then I can set the sensor up perfectly

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/0-5psi-Linear-0-5-4-5V-Gas-Fuel-Air-Liquid-Pressure-Sensor-Transducer-Sender-/232281554358

I could use a 10PSI transducer and it will work but the analogue value will bounce around a bit (5 PSI units are perfect for a 3m water tank)

2)

With the inputs are you able to add a custom alarm?

or are you able to add "Water Tank Low"

or "Header Tank Low"

Just a few little requests for my application, I have been really impressed with this Cerbo unit. Great job guys

cerbo gxfirmware updatesoftware
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey, this is a sensor that outputs voltage, that really won't work with the analog inputs on the Cerbo GX. Even though it might seem to work since you get some reading, it really does not work.

We're coming with an accessory before the end of this year (hopefully) called the GX Tank 140, which takes 0-10V (and configurable min/max level), as well as 4 to 20mA.

that will be the solution to take an input such as that sender.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Wes Humpage avatar image Wes Humpage commented ·

How far away will the initial units be?

I would like to get one ASAP

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Wes Humpage commented ·

Thanks for your interest! But I dont have any more details yet - sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·
Wes Humpage avatar image Wes Humpage mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hey @mvader (Victron Energy), we get all of our stuff through DPA solar in Australia. When you have the first batch, id be keen to be a beta tester.

Thanks

Wes

0 Likes 0 ·

Hey @mvader (Victron Energy),

I have setup and tested these sensors on 3 installations (6 tank levels) and from all of the testing I have done it all works really well. I think it would be still handy when manually setting the sensor resistance range in the cerbo software to push out the upper resistance value from 264 i think is the upper limit. Move it up to around 360, it would allow for these sensors to be installed and comissioned a bit easier (less mucking around with resistors)

The GX tank 140 would be handy, but I need it working now.

1609575367433.png

1609575394782.png

1609575423490.png

It does display the levels a bit randomly on the VRM, it would be nice to be able to turn off the tanmk levels that are unused

Thanks in advance, happy new year...

0 Likes 0 ·
1609575367433.png (107.3 KiB)
1609575394782.png (106.6 KiB)
1609575423490.png (91.1 KiB)
Wes Humpage avatar image
Wes Humpage answered ·

That will be great, I cant wait.

Ive popped in a 0 - 30 PSI pressure transducer (0.5v to 5v). It actually seems to read out the full range, it should get me by till then.

If you need a tester jut let me know

2 |3000

Wes Humpage avatar image
Wes Humpage answered ·

What about the input, being able to add a generic input alarm with a custom name?

2 |3000

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

As a work around - maybe consider adding a suitable ~1kΩ resistor in parallel with the sender - it should bring a 320Ω resistance down to ~242Ω.

It will barely change the other end of the scale, 56Ω will result in ~53Ω .

2 comments
2 |3000

I did this and was able to get it all working, I have done i ton 3 installations now (6 tank levels), it all works well.

Depending on the sensor inpedance, I had to either add or have no resistors at all.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ Wes Humpage commented ·

Nice to hear that it works well with the resistor 'work around' suggestion.

0 Likes 0 ·
Wes Humpage avatar image
Wes Humpage answered ·

Hey @mvader (Victron Energy), I just wanted to touch base to see how far away the GX tank 140 is away?

Im pretty keen to get it sorted and installed

5 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Its much much slower than I ever anticipated — but but but: production samples have approved and currently we’re finishing off the work on Venus OS as well as the production test equipment: several months still for it actually to make it into a warehouse

0 Likes 0 ·
timo-san avatar image timo-san mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Old thread but a question about tank 140 device. Can the settings be altered so, that instead of showing cubics or liters, it would show pressure (psi or bar or kpa)? Or is there any other way to connect a water pressure transmitter 0-10VDC to cerbo GX device? Installation where I want to monitor and controll water pump when water pressure goes too low.
0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image johanndo timo-san commented ·
Water pressure sensors (Hydrostatic sensors) are usually 4mA-20mA current loop sensors and they are directly supportedby the tank 140 extension.
0 Likes 0 ·
timo-san avatar image timo-san johanndo commented ·

How about the visuals? I know both 0-10vdc and (0)4-20mA transmitters are compatible but at gui side it still shows liters not pressure?

0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image johanndo timo-san commented ·

yes, full and emply and liters, imperial or US galons or m³ to choose from, pressure is not a option. But as far as I understand, you want to turn on a pump when the water pressure is lower than a preset value - that directly corresponds to a volume of water, so use liters as the set point. The default is m³.

There are different types of sensors, resistive (Ohm),, Voltage (V), Current (mA), Ultrasonic (Time in ms), Pressure (psi, bar), distance (meter), conductivity (mA), capacitive sensors (nF /pF) etc. But for fluid tanks they all represent a volume measurement.

0 Likes 0 ·