question

shellness avatar image
shellness asked

VictronConnect cannot connect to SmartSolar MPPT150/85 when VE.Direct cable attached

Whenever I attach a VE.Direct cable to my SmartSolar MPPT 150/85 (VSS-MPPT150/85-TR) it is no longer possible to see the controller’s data over Bluetooth. I noticed this when I installed a Venus GX in the summer. The “fault” has the following characteristics:

With the MPPT as “stand-alone” the app rapidly goes through the routine of “Connecting, Default PIN (at bottom), 0% up to 95%, Fetching Data” before the display values are given.

With the MPPT connected by VE.Direct (even when the other end is not plugged in to the Venus GX) the app goes through the same routine of Connecting, Default PIN (at bottom), going rapidly from 1% to 95%, “Fetching data” appears and it cycles on this for about 10 secs before returning to “Connecting” in an endless loop. Whilst this is happening the display screen has a smeared, Vaseline appearance.

I have played with connecting and disconnecting the VE.Direct:

• Using a VE.Direct cable:
    • Pulling the VE.Direct plug from the MPPT causes the MPPT LEDs to flash and the app immediately shows the display screen
    • Pulling the VE.Direct plug from the Venus GX causes the MPPT LEDs to flash and the app immediately shows the display screen
  • Using a USB/VE.Direct cable:
    • Pulling the VE.Direct plug from the MPPT causes the MPPT LEDs to flash and the app immediately shows the display screen
    • Pulling the USB plug from the Venus GX causes nothing to happen.

All of the above are true whether the Venus GX has power or when there are/aren’t other devices connected to the Venus GX. The firmware of the MPPT is v1.50 and the GX is v2.18. VictronConnect is V5.33.

I also have an MPPT100/20 & MPPT100/30 connected to the Venus GX. I do not have this problem with them.

VictronConnectVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @Shellness May I refer you to section 12 https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start#compatible_victron_products and also suggest updating your GX firmware which now stands at 2.6. Hope this helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shellness avatar image
shellness answered ·

Thank you for your answer, I would never have found that on my own (and my dealer thought the problem too complex for him to solve).

It is very disappointing as the controller is only three years old. It is a pity that a firmware upgrade couldn't fix it.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Shellness

Victron Connect will still work for that mppt through the GX. Not sure about bt, and given the VenusGX has issues with wifi of both types, you may need to work through that, maybe even with an added dongle. Ethernet will surely work, so all is not lost..

2 |3000

shellness avatar image
shellness answered ·

The site is remote and there is no Ethernet so there is no remote access. I can see the devices through the Venus GX (when the WiFi behaves). Seeing the MPPTs via Bluetooth was my quick way of assessing instantaneous power and recent power without uploading a GX file and logging in to VRM. I just have to accept that I’ll only get instantaneous readings by getting the WiFi to behave so that I can log in to the GX and then see VRM through the USB dongle talking to my Android hotspot (it won’t do this either at the moment…).

Thanks for your remarks.

2 |3000

Related Resources