question

ales-volopich avatar image
ales-volopich asked

Temperature sensor for water

Is there a temperature sensor for water with a connection to Cerbo GX?

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jeroend avatar image
jeroend answered ·

You could waterproof a LM335 sensor by using heat shrink tube with glue (probably easiest way) and place that on the bottom of the water tank/reservoir or in the water stream?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ales-volopich avatar image ales-volopich commented ·

I want to check The temperature in outside tank for gray water

0 Likes 0 ·
laurenceh avatar image laurenceh ales-volopich commented ·

I would expect the temperature of the tank wall measured outside would be sufficient unless you have some special requirement ( or you are unable to access the tank wall)?

I would not immerse a sensor unless it is very well waterproofed.

0 Likes 0 ·
martijnt avatar image martijnt commented ·
Have you connected a ML335 to the Cerbo? Does it require an additional resistor? Or can you simply connect the two writes from the Cerbo-temp port?
0 Likes 0 ·
laurenceh avatar image
laurenceh answered ·

If this is a question about hot water tank temperature then I have potted LM335s in small metal tubes. Insulated the connection wires and filled them with epoxy like this.

They can then be inserted into the tank foam insulation or under the tank jacket and will give a reasonable value for the tank temperature. I use three to tell me the temperature at the top middle and bottom of the hot water tank and get a good estimate of how much hot water I have to take a shower.

Built this way the sensors are also robust enough to clamp to metal pipes or surfaces to give a temperature reading.

Laurence

2 comments
2 |3000

martijnt avatar image martijnt commented ·

Can you simply connect the two writes from the Cerbo-temp port? Or does it require an additional resistor?

0 Likes 0 ·
paulhowes avatar image paulhowes commented ·
Sorry to drag up an old post but how do you then connect these to the pi.

Many thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Victron is working to make an interface to connect sensors that give 0-20 mA... then is everything possible. Search the forum for 20mA then you will find the post.

Regards, Rob

2 |3000

sv-unsinn avatar image
sv-unsinn answered ·

Hi,

is it possible to set up an alarm if the temperature will reach a certain threshold? It would be very helpful for the deep freezer or the water heater.

Best

Stefan

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor