question

Steve avatar image
Steve asked

Cerbo GX WiFi stop working when GX Touch 50 is connected

Hello

My Cerbo GX is connecting fine on WiFi without the GX touch 50 connected, but as soon I connect the GX touch 50 on it, the WiFi State goes from Disconnected to Connecting many times then Failure state

The WiFi signal strength is 76%

Cerbo firmware v2.60

Thank you for your help

cerbo gxgx devicewifi
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thewingman avatar image thewingman commented ·

I’m having the same issue . Wifi only connects when touch 50 is disconnected.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ryan Cassidy avatar image Ryan Cassidy thewingman commented ·

FWIW - still seeing this in 2.63. Cerbo was rock solid until I added the Touch, now it won't stay connected and generally doesn't reconnect on auto-reboot (has currently been down for ~48 hours). Will try the channel change then go to ethernet, but this is pretty disappointing.

0 Likes 0 ·
deangi avatar image deangi Ryan Cassidy commented ·

It is clearly a problem that Victron aren't admitting or fixing. I have stopped recommending the Touch for customers as it is just too unreliable.

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve avatar image Steve deangi commented ·

To solve my problem I have replaced the Cerbo, the WiFi is now working fine

Hardware issue ?

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey all, you’re all completely right: there is an issue with the Cerbo Wi-Fi when having the GX Touch connected.

And its related to harmonics. The harmonics of the hdmi signal to be precise.

Details here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/82877/cerbo-gx-wi-fi-issue-when-having-the-gx-touch-conn.html

My apologies for the trouble.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps; I dont like to accept my own answer, but I’ll do it here so that also others that find this through Google or otherwise get to the solution asap.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi,

in one of my installations, the exact opposite was happening.

It seems like, connecting the display is interacting with the WiFi signal.

But these things normally only happen, if the WiFi signal is weak in general where the CerboGX is installed.

In my case, I installed a WiFi repeater and all WiFi connection problems were gone.

Best Regards,

Markus

2 comments
2 |3000

Steve avatar image Steve commented ·

Thank you Markus, in my setup I have a strong WiFi signal, so in my case it‘s not a question of WiFi signal level but maybe interference from the display. I located the display as far I can go with the HDMI but it's the same result.

0 Likes 0 ·
deangi avatar image deangi Steve commented ·

Same for me, I have a corporate network setup and the signal is very strong.

Victron, any comments? It is deffinately a bug in the firmware and not a networking issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
thewingman avatar image
thewingman answered ·

No answers from Victron on this issue. I added a Ethernet to Wi-Fi bridge rather than rip out the Cerbo after routing all the wires. It’s a shame Victron sells a product without testing it!

2 |3000

deangi avatar image
deangi answered ·

Same here. Anything from Victron???

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

In my circumstance, I manually changed the WiFi channel on my router to another one a couple of channels away. You could try this and see if it works for you, it could be some weird harmonic or interference in your environment.

2 |3000

mgusev avatar image
mgusev answered ·

Had exactly the same problem (the WiFi connection was available sometimes, but mostly failed). Thanks to the idea wkirby expressed above, changed the channel on the access point and the connection is stable every reboot, no issue at all. I think it can be indeed some sort of interference between the video chain and the WiFi, like the one observed in Raspberry Pi 4. If this is the case, then most probably we have no chance of Victron fixing this in software, unfortunately.

2 |3000

Torstein Kvamme avatar image
Torstein Kvamme answered ·

Any news to this?
now running cerbo v2.63. Had my Touch50 disconnected since last post. Wifi been stable. Plugged in touch 50 today.
imidiatly lost wifi.
been trying to restart cerbo a few times. Still no luck.

Disconnected Touch 50

Reboted cerbo.
works really great.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic