question

Robert M.O. Seidel avatar image
Robert M.O. Seidel asked

I measured 50V on a 24V system. How does that work?

Shema 50V problem.pdfI have a strange problem on a ship with a 24v system. When checking the electrical system, I found that if everything or Multiplus, MPPT, etc. is connected, apart from the negative consumer and the starter battery are also connected to the system, I can measure 50V on the negative cable of the consumer and the positive pole of the consumer batteries . If I remove the plus of the starter batteries, I measure normal about 24V. I don't think that's normal and it looks like a hidden series connection to me. If EVERYTHING is connected, the system has normal 24V and the 50V are no longer visible. Maybe I'm making a mistake and don't see the forest for the trees. Does anyone have any idea why that is?

battery system voltage
shema-50v-problem.pdf (278.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Tom h avatar image
Tom h answered ·

Is the (-) terminal joined from the domestic battery to the starter & thruster battery between each 12v battery and not at the final (-) terminal?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Robert M.O. Seidel

Did you resolve this?

If not, best to get an electrician involved, as this seems to be a wiring error somewhere.

2 |3000

redtute avatar image
redtute answered ·

It sounds like you wired the battery's bank at 48v.

How many batteries in your bank?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic